What size and style carboys do you use ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your prefered size and style carboy?

• Better Bottle 5 gallon

• Better Bottle 6 gallon

• Glass 5 gallon

• Glass 6 gallon

• Glass 6.5 gallon

Results are only viewable after voting.
6 gallon carboys or better bottles work great, as do the "brew buckets" which are around 7 gallons. The 6.5 gallon carboys are also nice, as they have a threaded neck for carboy caps. A 5 gallon carboy is definitely too small for fermenting beer, there just simply isn't enough headspace for the krausen. I prefer the 6.5 gallon glass carboys since there is plenty of room for "extra" beer! If I happen to overshoot my volume on a recipe, no big deal...I just add it all to the carboy. Plenty of headspace for even a fairly violent fermentation.

I've got:
2 - 6g glass
1 - 6.5g glass
1 - 5g glass
2 - 7g buckets

I love my 6.5 gallon glass carboys. So easy to clean (just oxyclean soak) and I know there is no oxygen getting to the beer (Ale Pails are slightly O2 permeable).

But for the price if I need more fermenters someday, I'll probably buy 6 gallon better bottles.

Just buckets unless I'm using secondary, and then glass, except I do have a few plastic bottles in case I'm already using the glass ones. But it's rare that I use a secondary.

1 6 gal glass
1 6.5 gal bucket
3 5 gal glass

Picking up a mystery glass carboy this week. Gonna start splitting batches to really get a better grasp on yeast differences and whatnot.

1 5 gal glass
3 6.5 gal buckets

I've been debating on getting a couple 6.5 gal glass for the primary, from what it looks like on here is that it works well. Plus I think it would be an added bonus to see the fermantation taking place. Time for them to be added to the equipment list.

One 7 gallon bucket

two 6 gallon BB

0ne 6.5 glass

Eight 4 gallon #1 pete water bottles mostly for Applewein 0r splitting an 11 gallon batch into 3

5 gallon BB here, usually only as the secondary, though I have used them as a primary with a blowoff tube no problem.

None of the above.

90% of the beers I brew are brewed in a plastic bucket. They are in the primary for about 4 weeks then bottled. No carboys.

However I do have 4l, 3gal, 5gal and 6gal carboys. The 4l and 1 of my 5gal carboys are glass the rest are better bottles. These are used for bulk aging high gravity ales, meads and wines.

Craig

I have gotten into Better Bottles more recently and prefer those.
Two 6 gal Better Bottles
Two 6.5 gal cabroys
Two 5 gal carboys as secondaries

2 x 6.5gal Glass Carboy
1 x 5gal Glass Carboy
1 x 5gal Plastic Carboy
1 x 6gal Plastic Carboy
1 x 12gal open fermenter (not really used)

My 6.5gal carboy's are the nice thick ribbed old-school glass. I love them, and hope to get more.

Back