Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What should I buy for my husband?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
myhusbandhomebrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What should I buy for my husband?

Hello, HomeBrewTalkers!

My husband has been home brewing for about a year now, and he loves it so much. I think he spends every waking moment either brewing, drinking, thinking about, or talking about (hence how I knew about this forum!) beer! His birthday falls shortly after Christmas, and this year I want to buy him one big gift that I know he will love. I can't give too many details, because he is a member on this site, but he has several big and small contraptions that I have no idea what they do....so I really can't tell you guys what he does have. I know he has a keg; college made me pretty familiar with those

Anyway, I was hoping you sweet men could give me some suggestions as to what to buy my loving husband for Christmas. He is wonderful, smart, kind, funny and handsome, so he deserves something very nice! Again, I have no idea what most of the stuff he has actually is, but I do know he bought a chest freezer for making Octoberfest (I think???), but it is completely unused, except for some lasagnas I've snuck in there

He loves Rogue and Stone beer, so maybe I could get him the ingredients for those beers?

Sorry if I sound like a total idiot; I seriously am 100% clueless on this subject matter, as some of your wives may be!

Perhaps I should also ask: What are you guys hoping to receive from your wives this holiday season?

Thank you all for your time in reading this, and a huge THANK YOU in advance for any answers you may give me! Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Feliz Navidad and Happy New Year!! (And may we all not die in twelve days....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hmmm.....that is a tough one without knowing what he already has....an if he does EXTRACT brewing or ALL GRAIN...

Perhaps you can snoop around his brewing equipment and explain to us some of the things he has already....

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 12-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
woodenbuick
Recipes 

Pictures work too, that way at least someone can identify what he has..

Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 817 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Does he have a temperature controller in teh freezer? In other words, does it just freeze or can he turn it down to refrigerator temps?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1644

Maybe a temp controller for the freezer he wants to brew in? He'll need one if he doesn't have one already.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
myhusbandhomebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you, mgortel!! I know we have to buy grain all the time, and he spends a lot of time and energy grinding said grain, but I've heard him use the word "extract" as well. "Malt Extract?" Does that mean anything? I can't tell if I'm remembering this term or making it up haha! I just did a small amount of snooping and found some small black packages that say "Hopunion" on them. I have no clue what they are, but he has a lot of them and they say "Nugget" and "Citra" on them. Sounds like cute names for bunnies. Are there any power tools I could look into buying perhaps? I might be getting a little in over my head

Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
myhusbandhomebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well the freezer came with a temp control thingy on it, can that be used for brewing? Or do you guys have to buy a separate one?

Also, I'm afraid to post pictures...most of you would probably recognize your own set ups, and I want to surprise him as much as I can

Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I'm hoping I get a wort chiller for Christmas:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Wort_chiller

It will allow me to control my hops bitterness/flavoring/nose feel better.

Most brewers have them.

Measure how wide the pot is he uses for brewing to make sue it will fit down in there. Keep the reciept so he can do an exchange. You have made a nice effort and it is the thought that counts.

What flavor beer do you like?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Look at buying him a nice custom glass set to pour his beers into while enjoying them.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1644

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhusbandhomebrews View Post
Well the freezer came with a temp control thingy on it, can that be used for brewing? Or do you guys have to buy a separate one?

Also, I'm afraid to post pictures...most of you would probably recognize your own set ups, and I want to surprise him as much as I can
A seperate brew temp controller has to be rigged into the freezer to keep it at brew temps.

Quick Reply