What do you do with your 10 Gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricT

Reaction score
Just curious why a lot of folks do 10 gal batches. Is it to Keg 5 and bottle the other 5? Keg Both, Bottle Both? Split the Wort for different flavoring hops?
I cant imagine bottling all 10 Gallons. I would rather wax my ass hair then sanitize the ammount of bottles it would take to bottle 10 Gallons of beer. :tank:

I keg it. sometimes I will split it and do different dry hops. But I like to ferment it all in a sanke keg then jump to two cornys. I bottled all 10 gals once. wasnt that bad. but wont be doing that anymore.

Just curious why a lot of folks do 10 gal batches. Is it to Keg 5 and bottle the other 5? Keg Both, Bottle Both? Split the Wort for different flavoring hops?
I cant imagine bottling all 10 Gallons. I would rather wax my ass hair then sanitize the ammount of bottles it would take to bottle 10 Gallons of beer. :tank:

If you use 22oz bottles it wouldn't be any worse than a 5 gallon batch with 12oz. I haven't used 12oz bottles yet but will be for my next batch.

If you use 22oz bottles it wouldn't be any worse than a 5 gallon batch with 12oz. I haven't used 12oz bottles yet but will be for my next batch.

I use 22 oz bottles when I bottle a 5 gal batch, I think its around 32-36 bottles. Its still very time consuming. I keg mostly now days but was thinking about doing a 10 gal batch one day so I could keg one and bottle the other 5 gal to give to friends and travel with. Just curious what other folks do.

13.5 gal batches. Keg 5 gal and bottle the rest. About every 3rd batch is a 2-kegger + bottles as I have a friend who has a kegerator and takes some off my hands. Bottles great for gifts, parties, competitions, etc.

I currently have a 15 gal batch of porter with 5 gal on Notty and 10 on WY1728 with intent to make 5 gal of bluebeery porter, 5 of vanilla/oak and maybe bourbon porter, and 5 of straight porter.

While I have the equipment for 10 gallons I only use it occasionally. It's either for a real big five gallon batch (see the SW MI utiopias thread) or ten gallons of a beer that is really popular amongst friends and I give a lot away. Either way I bottle all of it but that's only a few times a year. The rest is five gallon batches into kegs.

Ha...I've never made a 10 gal. batch. But I did bottle 10 gallons yesterday. It wasn't bad. But with two 6 year old apprentices running around, it's easy to get distracted.

The reason I bring this up is I'm thinking about doing a 10 Gal just because I give away at least half my 5 gal batches. So maybe I'll keg 5 and bottle the other. Appreciate the inputs all.

The reason I bring this up is I'm thinking about doing a 10 Gal just because I give away at least half my 5 gal batches. So maybe I'll keg 5 and bottle the other. Appreciate the inputs all.

I put it in a 14.5 gal conical, dump the trub and collect the slurry at proper times , then transfer to a 10 gal cornie to condition and serve. Works for me.

I put it in a 14.5 gal conical, dump the trub and collect the slurry at proper times , then transfer to a 10 gal cornie to condition and serve. Works for me.

Ha, I dont have a conical yet but its just a matter of time. Maybe for my birthday :rockin:

I didnt know they made 10 gal cornies.

I haven't done a batch that small in a while. just did a 20.g batch tonight, split between a few freinds, my share will be kegged, might have a few left over to bottle

I currently have a 15 gal batch of porter with 5 gal on Notty and 10 on WY1728 with intent to make 5 gal of bluebeery porter, 5 of vanilla/oak and maybe bourbon porter, and 5 of straight porter.

And thats why its nice to brew 10g+ batches! From doing different dry hops/yeast combos, to doing a variety of incredible sounding porters! Blueberry, vanilla, bourbon porter...mmm my mouth is watering!

Aside from the reasons above, I like to split my 10g batches for just the reason you are considering, to keg half and bottle the other. Now that I have a bottle tree and vinator, bottling is pretty easy, but I still wouldn't want to bottle 10g at one time.

i made the decision to bottle 4 gal of cider, 5 gal of vienna lager, and 5 gal of pumpkin ale yesterday, took forever, cant wait till after christmas and my kegging parts will be all acquired, if i never touch my capper again it will be to soon....anyone know of a wiki for bottling kegged beer?

I split my large batches to 1/2 keg and 1/2 bottle so I can give away homebrew to my friends and take some to parties.

+1 here. I have only done one 10 gallon batch but half in the keg and half in the closet to set in bottles for Christmas.

...if i never touch my capper again it will be to soon....anyone know of a wiki for bottling kegged beer?
Here is one method. I don't even use the stopper or 'burp' it anymore, just chill it really cold, low pressure and go slow.

I split 10 gal batches between two 5 gal carboys and treat as two separate batches from that point forward. Both kegged.

Three 10gal batches -> Two 1/2 barrel sankes. Usually the only time I brew 10gal batches.

im going for a 10 gal either my next brew or the following. to many people drinking my brew. cant keep up. if i dont get a keg for christmas ill be getting one shortly after. keg 1 atleast. and bottle a bunch of bombers

My friend and I brew 10 gal batches together. I'm set up for kegging and he's not, so I keg my half and we bottle his half. The problem is we usually ferment each half seperately with different yeasts or dry hops etc., so sometimes we end up in a fight over who gets which half of the batch.

Latest posts

Back