used yeast trub from IPA in non hopped beer... did I ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
Made a beer 1.082 no hops. Lots of 2 and 6 row, pound of peated malt, 8 oz of cara aroma. Used 5 oz english ale WLP001 trub from IPA to pitch. Is the beer going to cover the hop profile? It was meant to be totally unhopped.

Out of curiosity, what were you going for with this? Is this a gruit of sorts, with other bittering herbs besides hops?

Have to admit, on first glance of the grain bill, my response is, "Holy $*It, a pound of peat?!?!" I am wondering whether you will taste anything besides smoke...

This one is not getting bittered. Just a smokey high alcohol beer, that will transform, like an ugly catapillar into a beautiful butterfly...

Never heard of a beer with no hops or some kind of bittering to balance the sweetness. But to your question, I don't think you will get much hop profile from using the IPA cake. With a pound of peat, you will probably only taste smoke. I used 4oz of peated malt in a wee heavy and that was still to smokey for my taste.

Excellent!

This brew is nearly finished fermenting. It should be done sunday. I'll let yall know how it turned out.

Just tried this one... holy crap. There are no words to describe the experience. Closest I can come up with? Atrocious.

I can only hope the final result of the full process will be less horrendious.

I honestly thought I was going to puke before I could spit it out and rinse my mouth with beer.

As an added bonus, the yeast cake (or whatever it is) on the top of the "beer" looks like meat-vomit.

I have had a Scotch Ale of about that OG with no hops that was excellent. The brewer did use some spices instead of hops, not sure what but it worked. He was re-creating some ancient recipe.

I have had a Scotch Ale of about that OG with no hops that was excellent. The brewer did use some spices instead of hops, not sure what but it worked. He was re-creating some ancient recipe.

First thing that comes to my mind is heather tips.
OP, was this supposed to be a gruit beer or a "malt liquor" involving no hops/gruit at all? And... what happened to it that it's atrocious? (you piqued my curiosity)

Jnco_hippie said:
This one is not getting bittered. Just a smokey high alcohol beer, that will transform, like an ugly catapillar into a beautiful butterfly...

It'll transform into something, but I wouldn't call it beautiful. I could lick the inside of my smoker and get the same thing this will become.

I've made several Scotch Wee Heavies and have never used peated malt. I have a 1.092 Wee Heavy finishing right now. I get plenty of smoke flavor from the yeast.

Keep in mind the adage, "A little is good, more must be better," is seldom wise in homebrewing. Also, beer needs something to bitter it and cut the cloying sweetness of the malt. It is not something new or something that is just a fad. Brewers have used various things for millennia for a reason. Use hops or gruit but you need something or your drinking partially fermented syrup.

I am completely inexperienced in use of peat malt or rauchmalz. What's a healthy dose for a wee heavy, and do hops balance the smoke? Or is it just better to save peated malt for whisky?

I'm of the opinion that peat and smoked malt doesn't belong in a Scottish beer. Any peat or smoke flavor or aroma should come from the yeast or caramelization during the brewing process.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf

Ok results are in...
This project is a total success!

I cannot believe how good the result is. This particular beverage has never been one I cared for, but this one is damn good. Perhaps i'm biased, but I cannot wait to give this out to my brother-in-law and father-in-law at christmas. This was made exclusively for them, as it is their daily libation.

I assure yall, i am not nuts. Just have a look at the recipe and think on it for a moment... it will come to you.

Back