New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Unexpected Twist to Brewday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
rinhaak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Unexpected Twist to Brewday

Brewed a Schwartzbier last night, and with a couple of small exceptions, things went pretty smoothly.

I usually brew 3 gallon batches, but because this was a lager that was going to sit for three months, I wanted to do a full 5.5 gallon batch. In the process, I must have incorrectly measured my runoff, because when I went to dump the finished wort into my fermenter, I was shocked to discover I had about one gallon more than would fit in my fermenter (a five gallon fermenter with a lot of head space).

Curious. Anyhow, I didn't want to let it go to waste, so I threw it in a three gallon jug, kept the lid loose, and added some champagne yeast (the only extra yeast I had lying around the house).

Any idea what I'm going to get with this? I know some people have played around with adding champagne or wine yeasts in addition to beer yeasts (best example I've ever had: Enlightenment's Bier de Champagne). But what about adding only champagne yeast?

I suppose I'll find out in a couple weeks!

The Recipe:

3.5 lbs Briess Munich
3 lbs German 2row Pils
1 lb Weyermann Carafa II
1 lb German Dark Munich
1 lb Weyermann CaraFoam
1/4 lb Rice Hulls

Mash at 150°, 45 min.
160°, 30 min.

90 minute boil
.75 oz Hallertau (60 min)
.5 oz Hallerau (30 min)
1 oz Hallertau (1 min)

Red Star Montrachet
(Used Saflager 34/70 for the actual Schwartzbier)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've fermented a beer using only wine yeast. It was interesting, took several months for the flavors to mellow out (wine yeast tastes pretty strong). Near the end of the keg, probably 5 months after I brewed it, the beer was tasting pretty good. It was a blonde recipe with about 5 lbs of cranberries added to the secondary, so it was quite tart/sour, and the wine yeast contributed to that a good bit.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
MetalMatt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Haha nice! The same thing happened to me this weekend while brewing a Bock, and I did the exact same thing!

Primary: Punkin Ale, Aventinus Weizenbock Clone
Also check out my band: www.Empty1.com

Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
MetalMatt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just pulled a sample out of that baby and it actually tasted really damn good. The gravity is at right around 1.010, and its crystal clear. Gonna throw this in a couple of bottles tomorrow and carb it up!

Primary: Punkin Ale, Aventinus Weizenbock Clone
Also check out my band: www.Empty1.com

Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I know this is ancient history, but why didn't you just reserve a tiny bit of your starter to pitch onto the extra gallon? Sure, it would mean you underpitched a bit on both, but wine yeast on a beer seems very scary to me.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
rwinzing
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brooklyn Brewings "Black Ops" is made with champagne yeast

Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinzing
Brooklyn Brewings "Black Ops" is made with champagne yeast
I believe it is carbed with champagne yeast

Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
JLem
naturally selected

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdecinces
I know this is ancient history, but why didn't you just reserve a tiny bit of your starter to pitch onto the extra gallon? Sure, it would mean you underpitched a bit on both, but wine yeast on a beer seems very scary to me.
Not scary at all...just another set of yeast strains to use. There is a great brewing network podcast with Shea Comfort about using wine yeast in beer. Wine yeast are the same species as brewers yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) - though champagne yeast is different - and have their own flavor profiles that can be used to a brewer's advantage if used properly. I highly suggest listening to that BN podcast - it is probably their most informative episode (in addition to the wine yeast info, there's also a ton of great info on using oak).

My Beer Cellar

Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
thepartsmancometh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

I did the same once, and I pitched the 5 gallons, swirled to mix and then siphoned 1 gal of pitched wort to another jug. Then topped off with the rest of the extra wort

Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
rinhaak
Recipes 

Just bottled the champagne version and racked the lager version. I was surprised that they attenuated nearly the same and they look identical (I expected one to be clearer than the other). The taste, though, couldn't have been more different (though that was no surprise). While the lager version was rich and malty (with more of the black malt flavor than I wanted, unfortunately), the champagne version was bright, bitter (not hoppy bitter), and shockingly dry. I really masked the malt profile.

I'll be curious to try it once it's done bottle conditioning. And I think if nothing else, I'm curious to try working with champagne or other wine yeasts in different circumstances and in combination with various ale/lager strains.

Quick Reply