The Ultimate Kegerator disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well,

had a full 5 gal corny pop a leak, from the BOTTOM, and dump its contents into my cooler and then into the room the cooler is in, and then drip somehow into the basement.

fun stuff on a Sunday night.

I think there is between 1-2 gallons of beer somewhere between the floor of the cooler and floor of the room, and the basement ceiling.

Bought two, used kegs recentlly, supposedly pressure tested. One worked great, the other NOT. beware.

TD

dude sorry to hear that. I had my liquid posts get clogged open with dry hops on two occasions where i removed the disconnect. Luckily the kegerator held the mess in but i lost 4-5 gals each time and a tank of C02. I have a chest freezer im guessing you have a upright?

Thanks for the sympathy. Its a Perlick Bar Back unit. Holds three full sized Sanke kegs/ nine corny kegs - 6 taps/and secondary regs, sits on floor, three doors, compressor on the side. Has internal fan and forced air line cooling for the taps. Major PITA to clean up and am afraid the story isn't finished. "Luckily" , I think the drain plug (Didn't even know it had one) was capped off.

Am sort of wishing I never sold my home built upright kegerator....

TD

Eww that sounds terrible--I'm sorry that you have to deal with the all of the hassle

Every keg I've ordered has come pressurized (even though I think it's pretty illegal to ship pressurized vessels). This is a good lesson to anyone getting a new keg though--pressure test your keg before putting any beer in it!

I was lucky with my major leak. I have a keezer, which makes a great containment system. I put a full 5 gallon corny with a picnic tap into it, hooked it up to a fresh 10lb CO2 tank and left. Didn't realize the picnic tap fell between a couple of cornies and opened up. By the time I found out what happened the corny and CO2 tank were empty. Still had to clean out 5 gallons of beer from the keezer which wasn't much fun but the damage was contained.

Thanks for the sympathy. Its a Perlick Bar Back unit. Holds three full sized Sanke kegs/ nine corny kegs - 6 taps/and secondary regs, sits on floor, three doors, compressor on the side. Has internal fan and forced air line cooling for the taps. Major PITA to clean up and am afraid the story isn't finished. "Luckily" , I think the drain plug (Didn't even know it had one) was capped off.

Am sort of wishing I never sold my home built upright kegerator....

TD

Sympathy yes... but the dog in your picture looks cool. That's really all I could concentrate on. What's the dogs name?

Latest posts

Back