tripled hops brewed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's bad....Obviously they're doing something right for some folks, or else the beer wouldn't be one of the best selling ones in the country if not the world.

Enjoy your beer, I'll enjoy mine, but we don't need to bash or trash every beer we don't like.

I've actually grown a appreciation for pilsner lagers since I've started homebrewing :)

I've actually grown a appreciation for pilsner lagers since I've started homebrewing :)

Honestly I have too. I still haven't done one. But I'm surprised how much flavor SOME of them have. I realized I don't like rice adjuncted lagers, so Bud/sapporo are not pleasurable to me (but I don't bash them or those who drink them), but corn adjucnted like Labbats, and others I find have a lot more complexity to them.

I was surprised how much I like Yuengling's Trad Lager these days. And I've also started trying the craft/microbrewed lagers that are out there.

I haven't tried Yuengling's yet but I really really want to brew a Kirin Ichiban clone but apparently they use some secret enzyme to get it to ferment so dry.

Pretty simple not to read or respond to a post or its easy for most people.

Why does Miller lite taste like watered down horse piss?

I'm not sure that it does. Of course, I don't routinely drink watered down horse piss, so I don't know for sure.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But really, bashing a beer that millions do like is sort of silly. Beer snobs aren't really entertaining to most people. Just drink what you like. If you don't like Miller Lite, there are lots of other beers you can choose.

whoa!

This is a public warning for those who are namecalling. I edited one inappropriate post, but I'm not doing another. Either edit yourself, or spend three days as a "former member of HBT". No personal attacks, namecalling, and so on will be tolerated by ANY member of this forum.

The posts weren't edited, and so I deleted them.

Please remember the rules here. If this happens again by any party involved in this, they will be uninvited to participate in this forum. This is the ONLY warning.

Anyways im new to brewing and was looking to find put why Miller lite didn't have much flavor of its 3xs hopped

It's a sparsely hopped low gravity pilsener with rice adjunct. It has no detectable off flavors unless it gets light skunked. It's also difficult to clone for a homebrewer because any little imperfection in ingredients or process will come through.

Miller is the only of the BMC beers that I can enjoy as long as it's ice cold and it's a hot summer day. I haven't had a BMC beer since October!

Anyways im new to brewing and was looking to find put why Miller lite didn't have much flavor of its 3xs hopped

I can put .25 oz of Saaz in three additions into a lager and make the hop bitterness all but neutral in the brew. Miller puts a very small amount of hops into their beer, just enough to balance the beer. Putting it in three times is irrelevant and pretty laughable.

Even my GF who has a pretty minimal knowledge of brewing laughed when she first heard a commercial advertising Miller as tripple hopped brewed. She literally turned to me and said "What does it matter if it's tripple or double or single hopped. That's retarded."

It's pure advertising!

Like COLD FILTERED....WTF is that? Apparently, the beer is cold when they filter out all the body. YUM..but your average BMC drinker tells their buddy..."Mmmmm this is good....cold filtered!!"

When im mowing the yard in the Texas heat mid summer i can enjoy a miller

i have too. a well made pilsner is a very nice beer. there's a couple out there that are some of my favorite beers.
as far a Miller Lite goes, it tastes watered down because that's part of the style. an American Style Light Lager is s'posed to be a low flavor, crisp beverage.

from the BJCP:

1A. Lite American Lager

Aroma: Little to no malt aroma, although it can be grainy, sweet or corn-like if present. Hop aroma may range from none to a light, spicy or floral hop presence. Low levels of yeast character (green apples, DMS, or fruitiness) are optional but acceptable. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Very pale straw to pale yellow color. White, frothy head seldom persists. Very clear.

Flavor: Crisp and dry flavor with some low levels of grainy or corn-like sweetness. Hop flavor ranges from none to low levels. Hop bitterness at low level. Balance may vary from slightly malty to slightly bitter, but is relatively close to even. High levels of carbonation may provide a slight acidity or dry "sting." No diacetyl. No fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Very light body from use of a high percentage of adjuncts such as rice or corn. Very highly carbonated with slight carbonic bite on the tongue. May seem watery.

Overall Impression: Very refreshing and thirst quenching.

Comments: A lower gravity and lower calorie beer than standard international lagers. Strong flavors are a fault. Designed to appeal to the broadest range of the general public as possible.

according to many a judge, Miller Lite does a great job at portraying the style. i'm personally not a fan of Miller Lite, or really most 'light' american lagers, but there are some that i enjoy, like Pabst, which falls into the Premium American Lager category, which is also a low flavor style made with a lot of adjuncts. my wife drinks a lot of ML, because she want's a lite, lower calorie beer that she can drink a lot of. after doing a lot of 'research' (yes, that's what we call drinking beer to learn about it) by drinking a lot of 'light' beers, she decided on Miller because it has more flavor than some of it's counterparts. it seems alotta folks have made that same decision, because Miller Lite is one of the most popular beers in the world.

i agree with others that beer snobbery is a fault, and not something that makes you look cool when you're talking to beer people and brewers. take it from someone who used to think that bashing 'BMC' and not drinking mass produced lagers was something that beer enthusiasts did, once you've been brewing for awhile, you'll learn a lot of things you didn't know about beer, like learning to appreciate a well brewed example of a style even if that style isn't your favorite. i used to not like any beer that wasn't a hopcicle, and i avoided malty beer like the plague. now, i sometimes find myself buying beers because they are overly malty.

i think the point here is to drink what you like, and learn to like what you drink. just because a style of beer isn't your 'go-to', doesn't mean that a feel crafted example of that style isn't good beer. :mug:

should have asked that in your first post if that is what you were looking for, would have saved what looks like a lot of name calling.

triple hopped makes me assume they put hops in 3 times, once at the beginning of the boil for bittering, once in the middle for flavor, and once at the end for aroma. it never says how much they use, probably a very small amount, but technically they are not lying. its a marketing ploy that I am sure came about around the time that Sam Adams started their commercials depicting all the fresh hops they use....

personally, i drank a ton of miller lite, it's cheap and easy drinking when i'm out with friends at a bar and i feel like staying awhile...
i personally like the flavor, and they're cheaper, and low ABV... it's easier to go back to back on a crisp 4%abv beer at 2-3 bucks a pint then try and go back to back on some higher grav IPAs and thick stouts at 6-7% and triple the price in some cases.

hell, i enjoy high life and PBR as well :)

Enjoy your beer, I'll enjoy mine, but we don't need to bash or trash every beer we don't like.

Yeah, I agree here. I'd probably get more enjoyment out of a Miller Lite than I would most any Belgian beer. The high levels of fruity esters and "yeast character" in a lot of Belgian beers are just offensive to my palate. Still, a lot of people enjoy them, and they are world class styles. No need to bash them.

Now, if Miller Lite and a Saison were the only beers on the menu? I'd probably order a gin and tonic.

Thanks guys. But in my opinion if someone gets pissed over a post that's clearly asking a question in a humorous way they are the snob. Life is short. No need to attack someone who has different taste

Howie said:
Yeah, I agree here. I'd probably get more enjoyment out of a Miller Lite than I would most any Belgian beer. The high levels of fruity esters and "yeast character" in a lot of Belgian beers are just offensive to my palate. Still, a lot of people enjoy them, and they are world class styles. No need to bash them.

Now, if Miller Lite and a Saison were the only beers on the menu? I'd probably order a gin and tonic.

That post was edited by administration. It wasn't so friendly lol

Heh, I just had a Kingpin double red ale from Bridgeport...it says "triple hopped" on the bottle too! I have no idea what that means...it didn't even list 3 different hops. It was very good though, triple hopped or not.:p

If somebody came on this site and said they didn't like a certain craft beer, it would be a conversation. Whenever somebody says they don't like a BMC beer, they get attacked and slammed as beer snobs. I don't like Bud...So I'm a beer ******? Not everybody who doesn't like BMC is a horrible person. #Fact

I always laugh when I hear the "triple hops brewed" Miller commercials... and now there's Bud Platinum which is "triple filtered". What does the average BMC drinker even think that means?

I don't like Bud...So I'm a beer ******? Not everybody who doesn't like BMC is a horrible person. #Fact

There is a distinction between not liking something and making a statement with the sole purpose of antagonizing people.

If somebody came on this site and said they didn't like a certain craft beer, it would be a conversation. Whenever somebody says they don't like a BMC beer, they get attacked and slammed as beer snobs. I don't like Bud...So I'm a beer ******? Not everybody who doesn't like BMC is a horrible person. #Fact

It's how some people choose to broach the topic. We all have different palates. You don't like BMC, I don't like Pliny, big deal. The beef tends to arise when someone comes on here spouting off about BMC being "piss water" and knocking people who drink it. People like that are *****es, and deserve to be called out as such.

I always laugh when I hear the "triple hops brewed" Miller commercials... and now there's Bud Platinum which is "triple filtered". What does the average BMC drinker even think that means?

"WOW! Triple filtered! That must mean it tastes even more like water! Count me in!" <--- exactly what they're thinking

LOL, I enjoy a good Bud Light when I don't care what I'm drinking, but generally stay in the craft area

Airborneguy said:
It's how some people choose to broach the topic. We all have different palates. You don't like BMC, I don't like Pliny, big deal. The beef tends to arise when someone comes on here spouting off about BMC being "piss water" and knocking people who drink it. People like that are *****es, and deserve to be called out as such.
Did you see anyone dissing people who drink it?

I still like Coors Light during the summer, and for cheap drinking sessions.

I have nothing but respect for people/breweries that make a great Pilsner or light lager. They are difficult to make and to do so with a repeatable outcome is certainly better than I can do currently.

That being said IMO I do not believe that anything made by BMC falls into that category of "great tasting" beer. However this takes us down a very slippery path because I am basing this off of MY palate. I do believe that a great light/session beer has a time and place but as a rule, this image may help you out...

beersnob.jpg

I prefer my drinks to have some GOOD FLAVORS. This is where I get lost by people telling me that BMC products have good flavors. IMO they have little to NO flavor and what flavor it does have/that can be detected, is less than what I consider good and borders on "Gawd Awful".

The question can be made if you do not want good flavors (or any flavors) in your beverage why not just add 1/2 oz of vodka into a glass of club soda on the rocks? other than brand loyalty or to say "it's still beer." ? :confused:

At the end of the day drink what you like. If a BL Platinum or MGD64 is "your" go to beverage and you enjoy it, good on you. I will not chastise you more than a typical cheap jab between friends, if at all and it goes both ways. I have a DIE HARD lager drinker in my family that is never going to let me forget the day he tried a drink of my IPA (Stone Ruination) and how horrible it was to him. He claims he can still taste the hops years later...:rolleyes:

Ya, I get that. My hate for BMC drinkers mainly comes from the group I am around. Constantly being told that I'm "Drinking p*ssy beer" (even though my ABV is double theirs) or that I "Should drink American beers" (Even though I'm drinking a beer from Oregon or my own freaking household) can get annoying. I've been known to drink a Bud from time to time but the people I would classify as BMC drinkers have a long history of pissing me off lol

webgodhog said:
"WOW! Triple filtered! That must mean it tastes even more like water! Count me in!"

Dogfish Head should run 90 Minute IPA through a Randall filled with three varieties of hops. Then they can advertise it as "Triple Hop Filtered"!

Airborneguy said:
Did you read in my post any mention of this thread? Hang around a bit guy, its done on this forum daily, both overtly and subtly.

Good point this is this thread not another.

Zamial said:
I have nothing but respect for people/breweries that make a great Pilsner or light lager. They are difficult to make and to do so with a repeatable outcome is certainly better than I can do currently.

That being said IMO I do not believe that anything made by BMC falls into that category of "great tasting" beer. However this takes us down a very slippery path because I am basing this off of MY palate. I do believe that a great light/session beer has a time and place but as a rule, this image may help you out...

I prefer my drinks to have some GOOD FLAVORS. This is where I get lost by people telling me that BMC products have good flavors. IMO they have little to NO flavor and what flavor it does have/that can be detected, is less than what I consider good and borders on "Gawd Awful".

The question can be made if you do not want good flavors (or any flavors) in your beverage why not just add 1/2 oz of vodka into a glass of club soda on the rocks? other than brand loyalty or to say "it's still beer." ? :confused:

At the end of the day drink what you like. If a BL Platinum or MGD64 is "your" go to beverage and you enjoy it, good on you. I will not chastise you more than a typical cheap jab between friends, if at all and it goes both ways. I have a DIE HARD lager drinker in my family that is never going to let me forget the day he tried a drink of my IPA (Stone Ruination) and how horrible it was to him. He claims he can still taste the hops years later...:rolleyes:

Nice meme.... im bit of a meme guru myself lol

Back