Too sweet and fruity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsbrew

Reaction score
Anyone know why this would taste sweet and fruity? Temps were under 70.
8lbs 2 row
1lb wheat
.5lb crystal 20
Saaz hops
Sa05 yeast

Almost tastes like pineapples and is sweet.
Also we broke the hydrometer again no way of knowing gravity(we seem to have a problem.)

Bottled too early.?Tested too early? How many weeks bottled? o5 attenuates too well sometimes for me.What temp did you mash? I often use half pound of crystal in a 2 gal batch never seems to be sweet.Are you noticing pineapple flavor from the hops? How much hops?

Yeah I guess I left a lot of info out. We were aiming for 150. But it is a new system and were 154. A little high, but not that much. We kegged it after 2 weeks. And used 2 oz of hops at 60 min. We did a triple batch and the other 2 we added fruit to, haven't tested them yet.

Since you did a triple batch did you use the right amount of yeast, starter? You could have saved a sample and bought a new hydrometer. It happend to me except i already added the priming sugar to it . But i figured it out with that in it. Next time.

We just used 1 pack per bucket. Never had a problem with that before. It's not that big of a beer.

S-05 tastes like peaches/pineapple to me. If you got too much yeast transferred to keg, and didn't let it settle out enough, this might be your issue.

Back