thinking of taking the plunge and making a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I've got a 4.4 cubic foot (i think) GE minifridge with freezer compartment from college. My brother's got it in his dorm right now, but I'm getting it back when he moves into his apartment in December. I'm thinking of converting it into a kegerator for a single corny keg. I've heard it's tricky converting fridges with freezer compartments. How much trouble am I in for trying to convert this thing?

is there space to put a keg in it without going into the freezer area? it may not be wort screwing with if it requires too much carving, also why would one tap be enough? you will want more!

I'm a full time graduate student, so I really only have time to brew once every month or two, so I can't see being able to have more than one batch kegged up at a time. Plus, I'm only doing it because it's a fridge I already own, as I can't afford to buy a bigger one.

DOOOO ITTTT!!!!

I am full time grad student too, and did the same to my fiancee's mini GE with Freezer. Super easy and now kegging is AWESOME!

really though, it is way easier than you think, and there is probably a write up on this forum some where for your fridge. My fridge has the sckematics on the back so I know that no coolant lines were in my way, i drilled a hole in the top after using the cobra taps for a while and got a sweet tower.

You won't regret it

Sure, once I unscrewed the freezer tray from the fridge, it fell under its own weight. The coolant tube is very pliable. The sides of the tray press up against the sides of the fridge, and if you relieve this pressure it basically falls back, making room for your kegs. so "bending" is not the best way to describe it. These are the best photos I have

2011-01-27_20-10-13_704.jpg

2011-01-27_20-10-19_804.jpg

2011-05-17_18-45-57_858.jpg

Back