Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > SWMBO rejected my IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Ilan34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default SWMBO rejected my IPA

SWMBO loves IPAs. I open up my latest one tonight and I'm blown away. I only have one chilled because I was checking for carbonation. I immediately give her the glass to try.

She sniffs it. "Whoa, that's strong!" I nod enthusiastically. She takes a sip. "ooh, that's fruity. It's too fruity, why's it so fruity?" Another sip and she hands it back. "I don't think I like it, it's too fruity for me."

I'm goddam crestfallen. This thing is loaded with tons of late hops - galaxy, cascade, and amarillo. Not to mention it was my first completely original recipe, which I think she forgot.

I sincerely think this is my best batch yet. Kind of frustrated and confused.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
SEABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan34 View Post
SWMBO loves IPAs. I open up my latest one tonight and I'm blown away. I only have one chilled because I was checking for carbonation. I immediately give her the glass to try.

She sniffs it. "Whoa, that's strong!" I nod enthusiastically. She takes a sip. "ooh, that's fruity. It's too fruity, why's it so fruity?" Another sip and she hands it back. "I don't think I like it, it's too fruity for me."

I'm goddam crestfallen. This thing is loaded with tons of late hops - galaxy, cascade, and amarillo. Not to mention it was my first completely original recipe, which I think she forgot.

Sorry to hear that, man. What kind of commercial IPAs does she like? I imagine what she's calling "fruity" is all those late hops.

If it's any consolation, I love IPAs and my SWMBO generally doesn't like them. I can usually tell how hoppy a beer is just by looking at the expression on her face after she takes a sip.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1481 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 2315

That's rough. I'd definitely find out what commercial IPA she likes. I bet there isn't a ton of late hop additions. Just try again and now more for you!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Ilan34
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts

Her favorites are probably Dogfish 90 min, Firestone Union Jack, and Bells Two Hearted. She's tried Heady a few times and loved it - and while it goes without saying that my IPA ain't no Heady, they're both big on the late tropical and citrusy hops.
I guess there's more for me!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
PRE66_6TART
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 6

At least she likes beer. I have to practically force mine to try my beer. And the only comment I ever get is "it tastes like beer." I should start saying "it tastes like food" whenever she cooks something...

Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
Pkrd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Plenty more fish in the sea.

Fermenting: JAOM, Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale

Bottled:
Honey Wheat; Blackberry Blonde; Chainbreaker White IPA; Sassy Red; Yoopers Fizzy Yellow beer; Black IPA; JAOM; BaA Schwarzbier;

Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 788 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:

The highlighted text suggests that this is a very young beer. The hop aroma will subside as the beer matures. Give her a sip (just a little sip, mind you) when it has been in the bottle for a month. If it is still too fruity, let her try it in another month (if there is any left by then). I've found that by 3 months most of the aroma has gone.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 539 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:

Well, it's time to get rid of her.

Just kidding. I guess she's more of a fan of piney hops instead of citrusy hops.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1481 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 2315

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRE66_6TART
At least she likes beer. I have to practically force mine to try my beer. And the only comment I ever get is "it tastes like beer." I should start saying "it tastes like food" whenever she cooks something...
Prepare for couch time if you do that!

OP, if she likes heady and such then who knows why she didn't like this. Maybe try it on her again in a week.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 11-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Mb2658
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRE66_6TART
Does your wife have a long lost twin sister? I must have married her.

Quick Reply