Strange film on my Belgian Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. maybe someone who has brewed a Belgian Dubbel can take a look at this...

3489043604_70a17388d9.jpg

I have a Belgian Dubbel in the fermenter for about 2 weeks (Saturday will be exactly 2 weeks). It took a bit for the fermentation to kick off (about 35 hours). The krausen formed shortly after and then died off. Most of my other batches usually have some small bubbles at the top of the liquid where the krausen usually is.. However, this batch has this brown film that is caked on the top of the beer. There also are some globular things hanging down from this brown film (kind of like brown misshapen iciciles). It is kind of noticeable in the picture..

Does this seem normal for a Belgian Dubbel? I used WLP500 Trappist Ale yeast. I do not think it is a contamination, but it just is weird looking..

Thanks brew gods / goddesses!

I can't really tell from that pic, but it's probably just krausen that doesn't want to fall. Take the sanitized handle of a long plastic brewing spoon and VERY gently stir it. See if it falls. It should. While the little dangly icicle-things are certainly reminiscent of a bacterial pellicle, you wouldn't see a pellicle form that quickly, and the top of it certainly doesn't look like a pellicle. So just gently stir it and see what happens. I've had krausens that stayed around for longer than normal, but I think it's just buoyed by co2.

How long should I let this sit in the Primary? I was planning on letting it sit another week (3 weeks total), then bottle, and let it condition for 2 months before trying one. Are there any methods that are better than others for Dubbels?

Update: I tried doing the swirling method but I still have some suspended matter hanging out on the top of the Dubbel. Also, there are little bits of matter just kind of suspended in the liquid itself, not sinking or floating... just chilling there motionless..

The Dubbel has been fermenting for close to 3 weeks now. Should I buy some more yeast and re-pitch? Or should I not be concerned? I have a feeling that this suspended matter will suck up through the siphon and be in the bottles.

Any insight?

Latest posts

Back