Speaking of broken hydrometers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to ask this when I read the broken hydrometer thread this morning, and now I just can't stop myself:

What the hell do you people do to your hydrometers? Juggling? Using them as drumsticks? I've had the same glass hydrometer for 10 years!

Ok, now I'm taking odds on, now that I've jinxed myself, when I'll break the hydrometer. Next brew day is this Saturday - I'm giving it 50/50.

:tank:

What the hell do you people do to your hydrometers? Juggling? Using them as drumsticks? I've had the same glass hydrometer for 10 years!

Could just bump them into something. I bought a floating thermometer the other day to use for my first brew with special grains. I broke it as I was cleaning up - I bumped it against the pot and the bottom broke off. I had it for less than 12 hours.

I assume a hyrdometer is just as easy to break.

Ok, now I'm taking odds on, now that I've jinxed myself, when I'll break the hydrometer. Next brew day is this Saturday - I'm giving it 50/50.
That's why I hadn't posted itt...didn't want to jinx myself.:D

But I do have a strict policy for the hydrometer:
Put it in the cylinder only immediately before I will be taking the measurement, not a second before
Take measurement immediately
Then immediately remove it from cylinder
Immediately rinse it
Immediately put it back in it's 'coffin' (i.e. perfectly shaped box).

So it's only out of the box for maybe 2-3 minutes tops.

I wanted to ask this when I read the broken hydrometer thread this morning, and now I just can't stop myself:

:tank:

Wow, 10 years is pretty good. I'm on my fourth in about 7 years, and I always keep a spare on hand.

I have yet to break a hydrometer in the 5 years I have been brewing (knock on wood) but **** just happens sometimes. My buddy went to brew the other day pulled his hydrometer out and and came out in two pieces (I blame the wife :) ) Either way, sometimes they break, but you guys that say you have gone through like 5-6-7-20 hydros in a year I just dont get that.

I broke a hydrometer after dropping it in my empty glass testing cylinder after cleaning and sanitizing... I was in a hurry and didn't stop and think.

THANKS for the unbreakable link... didn't even think to search for such a thing.

I broke a hydrometer after dropping it in my empty glass testing cylinder after cleaning and sanitizing... I was in a hurry and didn't stop and think.
Even after all these years I still just use the plastic tube the Hydrometer came in to measure. You can't even really see through it anymore, I have to fill it up and look over the top.:drunk:

Latest posts

Back