SN Bigfoot Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
What's up with this beer, "IT SMELLS LIKE BIGFOOT'S D!CK!!" ..lol, j/k, anchorman reference.

but seriously, why is it so hoppy? am i the only one getting that? It didn't used to be this hoppy. And i know that the tendency is to brew hoppier beers now a days, but i don't think it's true to the style. I don't particularly think a Barleywine should be hoppy. I want to taste that thick, strong, alcoholy, barley flavor, not a bunch of hops on the back end. Ik i'll get attacked by the hop heads, but i just don't think they're making this beer better.

IMO, the archetype of a barleywine is Brooklyn's Monster Ale. That's what a barleywine should taste like. Can we just put all these hoppy barleywines into a new category....maybe call them "Hopleywine"

It has always been that hoppy.

Bigfoot is literally the American Barleywine archetype and that is the new category you are describing.

Put it away for a year and you'll see the difference.

It will mellow out a bit and taste great. I'm drinking one from 2010 right now!:ban:

It needs to be that hoppy to age properly. I recently had a 1996 Bigfoot and it was fantastic. I also had a 2010 and 2011 side by side which was pretty interesting. The 2011 is a bit grassy still, the 2010 is real nice.

I bought a sixer of the stuff a month or so ago, just to try a Barleywine. I didn't much care for it, but can't say what I didn't like. It was a 2011 (I think) edition. I'll let them sit till next winter and try another. A 1996 version? That's commitment to aged beer- or lost in the closet....:) Kyle

yeah. i agree with the op. i was expecting something more like the monster ale. something about the big foot just didn't get my rocks off.

SN Bigfoot is my favorite "hoppy' Barleywine. My favorite "malt" barleywine is Lagunitas Gnarlywine. They are worlds apart but both great!

It has always been that hoppy.

Bigfoot is literally the American Barleywine archetype and that is the new category you are describing.

huh.....yeah, ur right. I guess i really prefer English style barleywine over american style. although, i could have sworn that bigfoot tasted less hoppy some years ago

I just got finished mashing in a five gallon batch of Bigfoot! Yippy,barleywine for next winter!!!!!

Long legs means more room for beer!

McMalty said:
Life's too short. I don't know if i'll be here tomorrow, so i'll drink today

Yeah, but I'll shove a bottles away for some time though. I've had many vintages of this beer from my collection over the years. Drink some fresh but, cellaring these beers is important. Buy a case each year it comes out and put most of it away!!! Same w/ your HB version.

This is her, working hard!!!

ForumRunner_20110325_221549.jpg

Yeah, but I'll shove a bottles away for some time though. I've had many vintages of this beer from my collection over the years. Drink some fresh but, cellaring these beers is important. Buy a case each year it comes out and put most of it away!!! Same w/ your HB version.

i understand you, but i can't do it. I used to save all the good things in life for later, but i just end of not enjoying them as much b/c i had to wait so long. It's not my thing, they can age it for me if they want.....and i'll buy it in 5 yrs

So I made a 6gal batch of Bigfoot the other day and is fermenting so happily at the moment. I did 5gal w/ Cali Ale Yeast and 1gal w/ Nottingham. I've been considering blending the two when its time to go to secondary. Thoughts? Comments? Lashings??

i tried my first Bigfoot in 2006. it was that years batch. i bought a whole case with high expectations. i HATED it. it tasted VERY skunky, imo.

My buddy from Chico just threw a Bigfoot vertical tasting party with a bottle from years 1994-2011! Plus I threw in the clone I had kegged the week before for good measure. I have to admit towards the end, they were all tasting most excellent.
Any one hear of any specific vertical tasting protocol? We drank from new to old, but I've heard of others drinking from old to new.

Back