Show everyone your hops, that are in storage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
Had to dig into the frig to put this year’s hops away and take inventory. These are the newly arrived additions to the back stock. I know that it is only around 16#, but still have two more packages in the mail and always looking to buy more. Post anyway!

4# Citra
3# Amarillo
2# Calypso
2# Nelson
2# Simcoe
1# Willamette
1# Cascade
1# Golding

DSCF4042.jpg

This is about 19#. :rockin: The second pic is just the 1 oz. packs in the ice cube tray on the top shelf of the freezer.

hop_freezer1.jpg

hop_freezer2.jpg

Around 15 pounds.

Simcoe, Warrior, Citra, Amarillo, Horizon, Summit, Willamette, Columbus, EKG, Centennial, Cascade, Saaz, Pearle, Hallertau, Sorachi Ace, Fuggle, Tettnanger, Vanguard, Northern Brewer, Sterling and a Pliny Pack

Hops.jpg

How long do hops last? I used to just buy enough hops for each batch from the LHBS, but I bought a pound of Cascade this summer, and I'm not sure if it's going to go bad or what?

I have some two year old hops, still best to use them as fast as you can.

Nice to see I'm not the only one with way too many hops. I've got about 20 lbs spread around 4 freezers. Just bought 5 lbs that i didn't really need, but just had to have them!!!!!

I see someone has them in a fridge. That's not a good place to be storing them if you have a lot (a lot meaning, they could be stored for a while). In checking BeerSmith for hop age of Cascade (which is not the best for storage):

12 months in freezer (0 F) vacuum packed = 14% loss of AAs

12 months in fridge (40 F) vacuum packed = 29% loss of AAs

12 months in fridge (40 F) stored in jar = 40% loss of AAs

Something off BYO:Because when hop processors store hops, they store them at temperatures ranging from 20–30° F and keep them in this temperature range until they are sold. If the hop variety has good storage properties, and if it is packaged properly, hops will remain fresh for two to three years. Most pellets are vacuum packed to minimize oxygen in the package. This is key since oxygen is the primary concern during hop storage. The other two concerns are time and temperature. Storage time can be maximized whenever exposure to oxygen and temperature are minimized.

It is normally sun light and oxygen that change/reduce the acid in hops.

Back