Rye Pale Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastur

Reaction score
So I was planning on brewing a partial mash Rye PA this week and wanted to get some critiques of my recipe.

Batch Size: 2 gallons
1 lb Amber DME
1 lb Light DME
1 lb 2-row
1/2 lb Rye Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 60L

1/2 oz. Northern Brewer: 60
1/2 oz. Northern Brewer: 30
1/2 oz. Falconers Flight: 15
1/2 oz. Falconers Flight: 5
1/2 oz. Falconers Flight: Dry Hop

Should get IBU's around 74 and 6.9% Abv

Any suggestions as to technique for the mash or any additional ingredients? My LHBS is pretty well stocked, so I'm not too worried about the availability of other ingredients.

Thanks! :D

I'd mash between 150-155 for 60 mins, then raise the temp to 170 for a mash out. Sparge by pouring 170F water over the grain bag while it's hanging above the brew pot. You'll be golden, sounds like a tasty beer. What kind of yeast are you going to use? I think US-05 would work very well with this beer.

EDIT: Also, depending on the Amber DME you are using, you might not need the Crystal malt. Amber DME usually already has the Crystal in it.

I haven't really thought about the yeast, but I was thinking something fairly clean finishing. US-05 sounds good; how is the performance at the lower end of its temperature range?

Hastur said:
I haven't really thought about the yeast, but I was thinking something fairly clean finishing. US-05 sounds good; how is the performance at the lower end of its temperature range?

Not sure, how low are you talking? I usually ferment between 68-70 with that yeast with no issues, but anything above 60F should be fine.

I like the White Labs Kolsch yeast (WLP029), you can go low 60's on that and get nice clean results.

I was just wondering if using it at lower temperatures would yield a cleaner finish, I have an empty fridge w/ a temp controller so I was wondering if I needed to use it.

With US 05 as long as you can keep it between 65 and 70 degrees your going to be happy with the results.

Latest posts

Back