Ronald Pattinson Mini-Book Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie Diamond

Reaction score
Ronald Pattinson (the fellow behind the "Shut Up About Barclay Perkins" blog) has a series of books focused on British Beer styles that he has released as a series.

I am considering buying a few and wonder whether anyone has given them a read-through.

Seen them? Like them? Hate them? Would love some reviews.

My thanks.

I have "Let's Brew" a collection of recipes. That's basically all it is but it's a treasure trove of historic recipes.

I have "1909 Beer Style Guide". I've only just cracked this one but it looks like I will be importing these style guidelines into by Beersmith software eventually.

Then I have "Scotland!" vol 1. Everything you ever wanted to know and more about Scottish beers. Too bad since what I really wanted was vol. 2 which includes recipes. I ordered the wrong volume. :mad:

I have "The Homebrewers Guide to Vintage Beer". Excellent book! Just the right balance of history, useful information and recipe samples. As you might have guessed I'm a collector of recipes...especially historic ones.

To round out my Ron Pattinson collection I have Kindle versions of "Porter!" and "Mild". Porter! I haven't started reading yet but I've read most of Mild! and filled up most of a legal pad with notes that I used to make custom style guidelines for Beersmith.

It should be noted that many of Ron's books are just a repackaging of his blog posts. You could just go to the blog and search for "Mild" for example (or use the keyword directory toward the bottom of the blog) and find all of these articles. The problem there is that Ron is such a prolific writer... he writes an entry every day!... and he's been at it since 2007 so it will take you a lot of computer time trying to find that info. It's kind of good to have it all in one place. And I think he overcharges a bit but I enjoy reading his work so...

I have "The Homebrewers Guide to Vintage Beer". Excellent book! Just the right balance of history, useful information and recipe samples. As you might have guessed I'm a collector of recipes...especially historic ones

Kevin took the words right out of my mouth, here. If you buy nothing else, at least buy this one.

Ron Pattinson knows his stuff like no one else on earth. If he has books on a style you enjoy, it would be a crime in my opinion to buy a style book from ANY other source besides Ron. That's how much I trust his info.

I second the Vintage Beer book. It is phenomenal.

Cheers.

Back