Recommended length hose for cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I just got an igloo 70qt marine cooler to do my sparging in. I bought a 30" SS hose that's long enough that there's a bend in it. Will this cause any sort of complications or should I be fine? It's gonna be pretty easy to bring it back to HD still if I should get a shorter one.

No problem dude, it will work just fine like it is, when you dump out the grain it will be even longer, just squeeze it back together, end to end of course.:rockin:

After you stir the grain in and all the mixing, the braid will stretch out some, at least mine does, after you dump the grain, it will be longer due to the stretch, just push it back on itself to shrink it back to size, you do have the hose inside the braid pushed out dont you?Just making sure. :rockin:Wait, what are you trying to do with the ss hose and cooler, I may have misread the question.

You should be fine if it's not severely crimped; just finger form it back to round and push the braid end to end around the pinch area. 30" should prove adequate for you- I love mine. I cut a washer hose in two and I have no issues one went into keggle MT the other in BK.

You should be fine if it's not severely crimped; just finger form it back to round and push the braid end to end around the pinch area. 30" should prove adequate for you- I love mine. I cut a washer hose in two and I have no issues.

I'm new to using this technique, how far do I need to spread the hose apart to allow for drainage?

I'm new to using this technique, how far do I need to spread the hose apart to allow for drainage?

You don't do anything more than pull out the inner lining hose, it's good to go. You will get some dents in it from spoon or paddle conflicts, but I just massage the area back into shape. When starting to drain, vorlauf a half gallon (or until it's sorta clear) into a pitcher of first running and pour back into the MT, then let it go WFO on the valve. You don't want obvious gaps in the mesh, but the grain bed will act as filter, too. The vorlauf sorta sets the grain bed so anything that gets thru in the first half gallon or so, you pour back softly so as not to channel the grain bed, and it's sorta forgiving.

Back