poor man's lagering in the midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soybomb

Reaction score
So I live near st. louis and winter is certainly coming in. 40-45 degree days, 20-30 at night. I'm just getting back into brewing again and one beer that I miss is a good oktoberfest. I've never brewed a lager before, don't have a fridge or a controller, but I've got the indoors, the outdoors, a garage that has temperature somewhere in between.

Can I put this together to make a decent oktoberfest? Also the only yeast I can use is a dry yeast. Advice, recommendations?

I do lagers this time of year. The brewery sits at 8-10C and the garage is near freezing. As far as yeast goes, you're in luck. Several dry lager yeasts are available now, including Saflager W-34/70 "The Weihenstephan strain available in dry form to brew true lager/pilsen beers." This is considered a good yeast for Oktoberfests.

I just brewed 6 gallons of an Octoberfest and used cal lager in 3 gallons and s-23 Saflager in the other 3 gallons just to see if either one works, both are at 58 degrees in a swamp cooler which seems to keep them at that constant temp.

Same situation here. I don't have a beer fridge but the garage will be close enough to freezing that I will cold crash my next few beers there to see if it will result in a more clear beer.

I may also try my hand at a pilsner during the cold winter months.

Back