Pin lock vs ball lock kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a kegging system and found one cheap on keg connection.com. It comes with a pin lock keg and I heard ball lock kegs are better/easier but it's also about $80 more. Is it worth the extra $ or will a pin lock work just fine?

Ball locks are not better, just more common (in that more homebrewers use them).

If you want to take a keg to another brewer's house and hook it to their system, a pin lock probably won't work. Same thing if you take it to homebrew club event.

Pinlocks also have a larger diameter and that could effect how many you get in a kegerator. But they're also shorter so that could help in some cases. Also , often pinlocks don't have any pressure relief valves or they are set. It makes it a bit more difficult to purge the air out of a get.

I actually like the pinlock connectors better as they don't get gummed up with wort and can be easier to put on and take off the keg.

I prefer ball locks. The lids have pressure release valves that you can simply pull to release pressure to open or to purge air before pressurizing after filling without making a mess if the keg is full. I had a pin lock and I hated having to depress the popit on the gas post in to purge air or release pressure to open. If the keg was truly full it would sometimes spit beer out of the valve making a lovely mess if I forgot to put a rag over it.

I am looking into getting a kegging system and found one cheap on keg connection.com. It comes with a pin lock keg and I heard ball lock kegs are better/easier but it's also about $80 more. Is it worth the extra $ or will a pin lock work just fine?

Whatever is cheaper. Use both. Get screw on mfl connectors and you can interchange at your whim. A set of quick disconnect is $13 for each.

Just purchased the Christmas special the still had on keg connection. Figured I could upgrade as I go if needed. Very cheap and free shipping. Any input?? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388527994.727721.jpg

Get it with out the keg, ball lock , and find a keg or two on craigslist.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

I bought my keg setup from Keg Connections last year. Great company. I added a second regulator along with a extra gas connection and a split valve on one of the regulators (Serve two beers off of one regulator and carb up another off of the other regulator). I explained what I wanted to do with the extra components in the notes section of the sales invoice and they assembled it to my specs with no extra charge or hassle.
Good Luck and welcome to kegging!
Redbeard5289

I know ball lock kegs have their good points, but I've had problems with them. They have 3 poppets and lots of O-rings. Think about sanke kegs, they are bullet proof.

Just got my pin lock keg in. So, no indication on what side is the co2 in, and beer/liquids out? Any suggestions on how to figure this out? Pkease help!!!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388797688.532395.jpg

The gas post will have a slice in it on the wrench nut... Hard to explain but google gas corny post?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

The gas (in) has 2 pins and the liquid (out) has 3 pins.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

If it came from keg connection then you don't have to worry. The nice thing about pinlock is that the gas lines will only go on the gas side and the same is true with the tap lines.

I went with pinlock because that's what they had

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

It is from keg connections, just realized they only go on one way. Should I change all the O-rings from what's on there to new ones they sent? Or keg lube the O-rings that already came in it? I accidentally let the co2 out to open the lid. Is that ok?

It is from keg connections, just realized they only go on one way. Should I change all the O-rings from what's on there to new ones they sent? Or keg lube the O-rings that already came in it? I accidentally let the co2 out to open the lid. Is that ok?

Not sure if they change out the rings but I would bet they do... if they don't stink I would leave em. Use keg lube always anyhow. If it came shipped with co2 it's ok to let it out.

Back