Patron Saint of Homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
Is there one officially or should we pick an official one for us? :)

Patron Saints of Beer. has a good list of possibilities.

I like this one;
"Don't drink the water, drink beer" warned Saint Arnold of Metz (b. 580 AD, d. 640), concerned about the dangers of drinking impure water. He believed that the polluted water caused illness, while the boiled and processed water used for beer was a safer alternative. According to legend he ended a plague when he submerged his crucifix into a brew kettle and persuaded people to drink only beer from that "blessed" kettle. He is reported to have said "From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world".

Scs-Arnoldus.jpg

:mug:

Martin Luther on Beer

490 years ago today (October 31), Martin Luther posted on the door of the church in Wittenburg, Germany 95 Theses for debate regarding the practices and doctrines of the Roman church. What followed turned into the Protestant Reformation. During Luther's years of preaching and teaching as well as informal conversation, his students wrote down verbatim most of what he said and recorded it in dozens of volumes of "Table Talks." Among the hundreds of astonishing and sometimes controversial things he said (wouldn't you hate it if all your casual conversations were copied and published!?), Luther talked more than a couple of times about beer.

After consuming some bad beer in Dessau, he wrote to his wife Katherine, "Yesterday I drank something which did not agree with me, so that I had to sing: 'If I don’t drink well I have to suffer,' and yet I do like to do it. I said to myself what good wine and beer I have at home, and also what a pretty lady . . ."

On moderation:
"God does not forbid you to drink, as do the Turks; he permits you to drink wine and beer: he does not make a law of it. But do not make a pig of yourself; remain a human being."

On the devil:
"Whenever the devil pesters you, at once seek out the company of friends, drink more, joke and jest, or engage in some form of merriment."

On aging:
"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."

On the mode of baptism:
“Besides, the Word [i.e., the Bible] is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.”

And this one was a joke (he didn't actually believe folks get to heaven by being good):
"Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!"

So, let's raise a glass to good old Martin Luther

Well, since Trappist Monks are considered to have created some of the "best" beer in the world and follow the Rules of St. Benedict, which tell them "for then are they monks in truth, if they live by the work of their hands."

Ergo, if they didn't follow the Rules of St Benedict, chances are they wouldn't be brewing beer so I nominated St Benedict.

250px-Fra_Angelico_031.jpg

Edit: Teach me to RTFA the OP linked to. Benedict is on the list.

Yeah, Papazian's my patron saint. We would literally not be where we are today as homebrewers without that man.

Plus, according to Yooper he's got a tremendous package. Ask her about his crotch.

As I understand it, there are more patron saints for brewing than for any other profession. I like it that way and do not care to choose one over another. I need all the help I can get, so it won't do to play favorites!

Yes, Saint Arnold Brewing in Houston is named for Saint Arnold of Metz. They'll tell you that anytime, and it's on the bottleneck labels. Brock Wagner, the MFWIC over there, even brought in a Russian artist to paint a fresco of Saint Arnold. It's in the brewery lobby. Brock thought well enough ahead, though, to make it portable, so it will move to the new brewery next year.

TL

Back