Pacman Blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBL_Brewer

Reaction score
So I've heard a lot about pacman and I'd really like to try it. Problem is, I can't find any Rogue around here and have no idea when and if Wyeast will offer it again. I thought I had a trade worked out here recently but if fell through. Anybody willing to come off a few ml of slurry? I don't have much for trade. Wyeast: 1272, Denny''s Fav, Kolsch and California Lager. I've got some frozen US-05 too, but I'm sure nobody wants that. Or I'd be willing to trade homebrew if I don't have any yeast you want. Any takers? :mug:

Huh, I talked to my LHBS and they said it wasn't available. I'll have to call morebeer on Monday. Thanks.

So I've not heard this directly from Wyeast, but I have heard it from White labs, and I imagine its the same deal for Wyeast. Chris White mentioned on an episode of the Sunday Session that they will make batches of their yeast if a brew shop wants enough of it. So even their platinum series that are not "in season", they'll make if a shop orders enough.

So even though its not "available", it is for shops that order enough.

So I've not heard this directly from Wyeast, but I have heard it from White labs, and I imagine its the same deal for Wyeast. Chris White mentioned on an episode of the Sunday Session that they will make batches of their yeast if a brew shop wants enough of it. So even their platinum series that are not "in season", they'll make if a shop orders enough.

So even though its not "available", it is for shops that order enough.

I guess that makes sense. I'll have to start doing more net searches instead of relying on the old reliable. Thanks.

I've got a full quart size mason jar of it, along with several pint sized mason jars. If you were closer, you could just have some.... But I don't really want to mess around with shipping. My LHBS sells smack-packs of it. Like the others have said, your best bet would probably be to go online.

I'd be cautious ordering pacman from rebel brewer, they sent me a 5 month old pack of pacman last month.

I'd be cautious ordering pacman from rebel brewer, they sent me a 5 month old pack of pacman last month.

Thanks for the heads up. I had planned on making a phone order and asking what the dates on the packs were.

Same for me with Austin. Made a starter and it wasn't a problem, but it is something to be aware of. I think that's just a natural by product of the "special order" nature of this yeast that you're going to be more likely to get older yeast packs.

As long I can get a starter going that's all I need, but I'll try and find the freshest pack I can of course.

Just got my smack pack in the mail today! Only a month old from Rebel Brewer (I called ahead to verify first). Guess it's time to make a starter. Thanks again guys.

All I have to say is, brew Yoopers DFH 60 min IPA with that stuff! I've made that recipe with different yeasts, and while still an excellent beer, it's fan-friggin-tastic with the Pacman!

Now if only Rogue would produce an IPA with Simcoe and Amarrillo....one can only dream :D

Back