Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Overcarbed and metallic tasting commercial brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
zanemoseley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Overcarbed and metallic tasting commercial brew!

I was exited to see a local brewery's offering today at the beer store, it was New Knoxville Brewing Company's Traditional Pale Ale. I was happy to pay the $7.50 for a sixer. Got it home and popped one, the beer was over carbed and foamed like mad. It was way unfiltered, there was malt crush or hop matter galore. The first two problems would be fine if it tasted great however it had a horrendous metallic taste, never tasted it before in a commercial brew except maybe some Dos XX but it was not nearly as bad. So whats the deal? I've only brewed 3 batches, only drank one but would still be utterly ashamed of a beer of this caliber yet they sell it. What do you guys think are causing these symptoms? I'll be sticking with Sweetwater Brewery's 420 Extra Pale Ale out of Atlanta, it leaves this brew in the dust.

BTW, I tried to find a web site to contact them however all I can find is random info on the company with little contact info, guess I just have to be happy with leaving a bad review and never buying their product again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Carbonic acid is produced when CO2 and H20 come together. It comes across as a harsh, metallic taste and gets stronger the more carbonated a beer is. Transferring an overcarbed beer from one glass to another, and letting it sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes lets it off-gas some, and the taste decreases.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
Casey27
Recipes 

I thought New Knoxville went out of business... Maybe they went out of business a couple of times. I went to their myspace page and it said they had closed the brewery. Maybe what you bought was either really old or a symptom of why they closed.
I used to live in Knoxville and I remember a number of years ago (8-9?) their beer was pretty good.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
zanemoseley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think they're back in business with new owners but who knows since I can't seem to find much info about them. I'd hate to think I have bought several year old bad beer but its possible I suppose.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
atkinsr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Carbonic acid is produced when CO2 and H20 come together. It comes across as a harsh, metallic taste and gets stronger the more carbonated a beer is. Transferring an overcarbed beer from one glass to another, and letting it sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes lets it off-gas some, and the taste decreases.
Not meaning to thread hijack, but it's the first time I've heard a reasonable explanation. I experienced this with my last batch. I'm kegging and using co2 carbonation. Is there a way to avoid this? Oddly, the other 3 beers didn't have this problem. I thought the metallic taste was coming from a screwed-up corny keg.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
KUbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
I'll be sticking with Sweetwater Brewery's 420 Extra Pale Ale out of Atlanta, it leaves this brew in the dust.
Now there's a great brew, went to their brewery last night for the second time. They are a well run operation, from their beer to their public relations.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsr View Post
Not meaning to thread hijack, but it's the first time I've heard a reasonable explanation. I experienced this with my last batch. I'm kegging and using co2 carbonation. Is there a way to avoid this? Oddly, the other 3 beers didn't have this problem. I thought the metallic taste was coming from a screwed-up corny keg.
Dial down your pressure levels. If you're overcarbing this can definitely be an issue.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
atkinsr
Recipes 

The beer was actually slightly flat, but we did have the co2 cranked pretty high initially. I'll give it a shot with the next batch. Thanks!

Quick Reply