Oktoberfest w/ Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
I want to brew an Oktoberfest/Marzen Kit from Austin Homebrew Supplies but I dont know much about the lagering process and do not have the precise temperature control to really give it a shot. So im wondering If I could simply brew the ingredients in this kit and pitch a pack of Nottingham Ale Yeast?

Would this turn out ok/tasty? or would it be more of a waste of a kit?

If you use the search funciton, there's a ton of threads about this. It will work fine, but the beer won't be as clean and crisp.

I just brewed something similar to the Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale that uses WLP029 (Kolsch) yeast. There is some discussion of which dry yeast to use in the thread.

i did one with the german ale yeast (1007 i think) last year and it turned out OK, but definitely not as lager-like as i was hoping. it was still a very drinkable beer though.

I have an Oktoberfest brewing now using WLP029 Kolsch yeast. I plan on cold crashing with gelatin to clean it up since I don't have the ability to lager. I'm sure it'll turn out okay.

I did mine with 029 back in April and it's been kegged and "lagering" as it hides from me in the man fridge. Dammit...I actually forgot it was there til reading this.......Now the temptation comes back......

Back