Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oaked Arrogant Bastard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
TechyDork
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Oaked Arrogant Bastard

I just found it in Anchorage. so i bought a 6er and damn is it good!!! To me it was not better than the original, but it was a very very tasty beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like to have one now and again, but I feel the same way. Not better than the original...just different.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do they sell the original ABA in sixers or just bombers? I LOVE the non-oaked version. I actually brewed a batch of it a few months ago. I think the oaked version is just OK, but they only sell sixers that here while the non-oaked comes in bombers. Weird.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 07-16-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
harrydrez
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Next time I go to my beergasm store I'll let you know. Next on my list to get is a sixer of that victory prima pils and maybe some of the double dead guy I saw.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Hambone
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wanted to try the Oaked AB a couple of weekends ago but the bar just ran out. oh well, if the original is better, I guess I didn't miss much. BTW the double dead guy is excellent

Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Brewin_CRAZY
Recipes 

I would have to agree with everyone, the orig AB is better IMO. I actually just had an Oaked AB last night. I have a brew that I make that spurred off from AB (started with a clone and tuned it to my taste) and i am going to oak some of it this weekend. It seemed like the Oaked AB was oaked with really light barrels/chips (not sure of which). It really pulled a lot of the coconut taste into the brew. Im going to try some of the dark toasted chips in my brew we will see if it turns out better.

Bottled: DFH 120 Clone (Kicks your A$$)

"Brew happy, brew often, and always brew with friends." -Me
"I dont home brew because I'm poor, I'm poor because I home brew!!!" -Me

"If I ever leave this world alive ill be drinkin up in the sky, with you my friend by my side" RIP B.G.
And always remember friends "Do NOT set yourself on fire"

Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I actually take the opposite tack, I prefer the oaked over the original by a tad. I love AB, but I think the oaked is even better. Trader Joe's has the regular for 4.95 a bomber, and every time I am there and pick up a few, the cashier inevitably asks me about them. And I always mention that they should try to get the oaked in there too.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I prefer the regular AB by far but I've enjoyed drinking the Oaked version as well. The bombers I can drink like nothing which probably adds to my enjoyment.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 07-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
I prefer the regular AB by far but I've enjoyed drinking the Oaked version as well. The bombers I can drink like nothing which probably adds to my enjoyment.
I absolutely love the regular AB. It was 8.5% when I made it because of good eff and over-boiling. There were many rough mornings as a result of having it on tap in my house. I could drink it all day every day. I wish Double Bastard Ale was year round too. I need to find a recipe for that too.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnoona View Post
I absolutely love the regular AB. It was 8.5% when I made it because of good eff and over-boiling. There were many rough mornings as a result of having it on tap in my house. I could drink it all day every day. I wish Double Bastard Ale was year round too. I need to find a recipe for that too.
On slightly the same subject: have you tried Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale? It's a lot like AB in some ways (same hops) and I tried it side by side, noticing minor (to me anyway) differences. It's cheaper than AB and goes down pretty well. I wish I had written down something about it since it was back in December.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Quick Reply