Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > And now I am ashamed...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 360 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 128

a couple of things you can do with bad beer. If you have a lawn your lawn LOVES beer. Just turn on the sprinklers and slowly pour beer in front of them. your grass will turn super green and grow like mad. second I have found out snales (like us) cannot resist beer (I dont think there as picky as us) a tin plate filled with beer in the snail infested garden or yard and you will catch lots and I do mean LOTS throught thew night. lastly I brewed a red ale 3 years ago that turned out infected (I was green) anyway I kept it in the keggor on tap as an honsty tester to see who had true honest responses to my beer. if they said they liked it I would make them drink it all. photohand and myself had so much fun with that botched batch of beer it was almost worth it.
Cheers
JJ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #12
Wheat King
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird
I kept it in the keggor on tap as an honsty tester to see who had true honest responses to my beer. if they said they liked it I would make them drink it all.
brilliant and resourceful!

Old 09-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Oooops.. I actually used Muntons.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird
a couple of things you can do with bad beer. If you have a lawn your lawn LOVES beer. Just turn on the sprinklers and slowly pour beer in front of them. your grass will turn super green and grow like mad. second I have found out snales (like us) cannot resist beer (I dont think there as picky as us) a tin plate filled with beer in the snail infested garden or yard and you will catch lots and I do mean LOTS through the night...
It's illegal to bait snails...you have to wait until they are in season...then add garlic and butter to taste! Voila!!

Old 09-23-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpilot
I had one brew ferment at nearly 80F, and I had used Nottingham... it was pretty alcoholic, but over time it mellowed a little, but it was certainly NOT right.

Brewpilot
I wonder if the same is what happened with one of mine. I had a Brewers Best Amber Ale kit that turned out funky...using Nottingham at nearly 80F.

It has a thin, tan colored head, slight alcohol taste, and a strong wheat taste? It literally tastes like a dark wheat. So far this odd batch is my brother's favorite. It was good to know that someone can appreciate a brew that didn't come out right.

If this wasn't a result of the yeast then it is likely because I let the temp get too hot when steeping. Perhaps a combo of both.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 PM   #16
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No one likes to admit to having made bad beer and they try to drink it anyway.
Not me. I have dumped beer that was bad with no regrets other than a sense of loss of beer.

I like the sig of someone on one of these boards which says...Life is too short to drink crappy beer.... or something like that. Anyway, I make enough good beer that if I make a crappy one, then down the drain it goes.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 09-26-2006, 01:16 AM   #17
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some one once said on here "rack it to the drain".
If your gonna use bleach to sanatize use cold water to rinse.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #18
Engelramm
Recipes 

Well, add me to the club. I have a brown ale with "ring around the neck". It looks like small dark specks clinging to the neck of the bottle. I am forcing myself to drink it as penance and I keep going over in my head what part of the process is not sanitary. It's odd, only some bottles taste bitter to the point of being called astringent. Other bottles with the ring taste fine.

Things that I have narrowed down as being the culprit:
siphon hose - threw it out and bought 20' for about $3
I forgot to sanitize the bottle caps until I had all the bottles filled. I dunked them in bleach water for a couple of minutes and rinsed (probably not very well).
Oh, and then there was the cat hair I found in the secondary fermenter when I racked to the bottling bucket.

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread. It makes me feel better that people that have been brewing for awhile still get the occasional funky batch. It also feels better to admit my problem. Hello, I'm Engelramm and I have an infection.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:56 AM   #19
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Man, y'all are scaring me. I've got three batches going, one I just bottled, one in secondary, one headed for secondary on Friday. I am sooooo looking forward to drinking them and really being pleased and amazed with my brewing abilities... I'm gonna cry if any of them taste bad.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #20
Carne de Perro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
It's illegal to bait snails...you have to wait until they are in season...then add garlic and butter to taste! Voila!!
FRENCH ALERT!!! FRENCH ALERT!!!

Quick Reply