New Brewing Recipe Site - Web 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyKlein

Reaction score
I've created a new brewing recipe site. The site is: www.BrewItAgain.com

Some features of the site are:

• Modern web 2.0 site
  • Browse and search existing brewing recipes
  • Share your recipes with others
  • Manage and track your recipes in one place
  • Discuss recipes
  • Rate recipes
  • 100% free

The site isnt pre-populated with too many recipes, because I want them to come from users.

Please check the site out, use it, upload some recipes, and have fun! If you have any suggestions, i'm all ears.

Thanks!

Wow! The site looks awesome! Hope you get plenty of people to chip in recipes, as it seems that this will really be a user-driven site.
Good luck, and Happy Brewing!

Love this site

Although one feature I would like to see is the ability to import recipe.

Like beerxml.

I would be much more inclined to add all I have done if it were simpler to import

Love this site

Although one feature I would like to see is the ability to import recipe.

Like beerxml.

I would be much more inclined to add all I have done if it were simpler to import

Great Suggestion! Havent thought of this. I'll put it on the todo list.

Very cool site. I have a few suggestions, and don't know how feasible they will be, so I'll just throw them out there.

1. I would redo the categories. I like the idea of clones being in a separate category, but the "regional" category seems very vague to me. I see a category for Pale Ale and Dark Ale, but I wouldn't think immediately to go to either of those for IPA, Red/Amber, Brown, mild etc. I would follow the BJCP categories for the most part to separate the recipes.

2. It would be nice if a batch size was listed with the recipes. I know a lot of people do 5 gallon batches and a lot do 5.5 gallon, so without batch size distinctions the results can be unpredictable.

3. There's nowhere to list expected efficiency for all-grain batches. There's a big difference in expected OG if you get 70% or 80% efficiency, and it would be good to know going into the recipe if you're going to end up high or low on your system.

4. It would be REALLY cool if you could have it automatically scale the recipe to a particular batch size.

5. It would also be really cool to have it adjust the ingredients based on efficiency that you enter yourself for an all-grain batch.

6. I noticed some of the recipes didn't have times listed with the hop additions. I would require the person adding the recipe to specify a time for each boiled hop addition or choose dry hop, first wort hop, or mash hop.

Good start. I didn't see anything regarding batch sizes on the recipes though. The Sam Atoms use 21 lbs of malt for a 1.054 gravity, so I'm assuming 10 gallon recipes? Or will it vary depending on who puts a recipe in?

This is great! This could definitely become the one-stop shop for brewing recipes. Glad to see a cider section as these recipes are rather difficult to find. I will definitely post this link to a couple other sites.

Cheers to beers!

Thanks for the feedback! This is all really helpful! I'll put some of them on the todo list. I'll get some more specific categories added ASAP.

Wow...once you get a few critical things added (such as efficiency, batch size, etc) I can see this being epic! Great job so far!

Wanted to give a quick update. The two most requested features have been better grain type visibility, and import / export.

Ive done a little work to make the grain type clearly visible on all of the pages. For those of you that requested this, let me know what you think. Also, i'll be putting an update in very shortly to allow you to be able to filter within the categories by things like grain, rating, OG, etc...

Once I get that finished, i'm going to start working on the import export. I expect that to be a bit of work, but hopefully it will be in there shortly.

Lastly, i'm working to get batch sizes in there for all of the recipes. That should be done very soon.

I've always thought BeerSmith should have an online recipe component for sharing recipes. Once you have the import/export function done, usage will take off.

If the viability of your site is going to depend on advertising to keep it alive, the import/export is going to be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I don't see people using the site a lot if they can't easily upload and share their recipes. The downside of that though is that people won't spend much time there if they are just going to grab recipes via an export.

A quick update about the site. I put in a nice little filter feature. When you are viewing a category. You can now filter by things like: Recipe type (all grain, extract, partial), OG, FG, and recipe rating. Next up on the todo list is the much anticipated beerXML import.

If you move your backend data structure to be more like BeerXML (or actually is BeerXML), then you could include some nice unit conversions.

I pulled up a couple of recipes specifying hops in grams and was having to convert units in my head to get an idea for the recipe's hop schedule. It would be pretty sweet to be able to display in lbs/oz of kgs/grams or any combination there.

Yea, ifyou get some clean import/export then I expect the number of recipes to be uploaded to increase dramatically.

One thing i would suggest is qualitative, so i don't know how to go about it. One thing i like about discussing recipes here is the actual discussion. Through that you get an idea of whether the author HAS ACTUALLY BREWED the recipe before, or if it's just an "idea" he decided to put into the system.

If you could capture some way of determining whether it's a viable, "experienced" recipe or not, i think that'd be a good feature. I know i'm quick to hold recipes in higher regard when i read the author has tried & tweaked it, or if others have.

One thing i would suggest is qualitative, so i don't know how to go about it. One thing i like about discussing recipes here is the actual discussion. Through that you get an idea of whether the author HAS ACTUALLY BREWED the recipe before, or if it's just an "idea" he decided to put into the system.

If you could capture some way of determining whether it's a viable, "experienced" recipe or not, i think that'd be a good feature. I know i'm quick to hold recipes in higher regard when i read the author has tried & tweaked it, or if others have.

The ratings plus comments should take care of that after a bit of time, if he gets enough users and high-quality recipes to create a critical mass.

But I can see how if Ed decided to upload Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale that he might want to have a section to be able to link back to the discussion here and at other places. People whom find it via BrewItAgain are likely to rate and comment at BrewItAgain, so it shouldn't hurt viewership...

Edit: I guess that what I'm getting at is that maybe the site creator or similar should go around and ask many of the popular recipe creators on this site if they mind having their recipes uploaded to this new site with links back to the discussion here, and if they don't mind go ahead and input them.

i really like the filter feature though i recommend putting it on the front page. for example, perhaps we don't care what beer category, but we're just looking for something new to try. then we could filter among all beer categories based on perhaps only type (all grain, extract, etc.)

A quick update. BrewItAgain now has a BeerXML recipe import! You can import recipes by going to the "add recipe" page and selecting "import". Please import your favorite recipes!

Back