My dog eats hops and she love it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also keep in mind, just because your dog survived eating hops or did not show obvious signs, that does not mean it did not suffer malignant hypothermia, which can cause renal failure and brain damage and tissue damage to the muscles and joints.

My golden retriever walked in through the dog door with a dead mouse in his mouth the other day. So proud he was. lol

I came home after a brew day to find my dog had gotten into spent hops. She's a 55lb lab. Wasn't long before she began showing abnormal symptoms. Heavy breathing, lethargy, etc. to the hospital we went. $700 dollars and some black charcoal later she was fine. I would highly advise careful brewing and cleanup around dogs. They love that smell as much as we do, they just can't take it.

Side note: Brewed the best bourbon pepper porter that day...

Hops DO KILLL DOGS!! Please do not let your dogs any where near hops!! My 17 month old Doberman ate some spent hops after my brew day last Saturday and died early Sunday morning - the cause was Malignant Hyperthermia
I'm sorry for your loss :(
My dog likes panties.

No, seriously, back when SWMBO was a GF and not Wife she got a puppy and the puppy would always sneak away, into her bedroom, grab panties from the dirty laundry, hide under the bed and chew on them. She still does it too if we leave things around. Also its ONLY the panties, never any other clothing at all. And she's a girl dog too.
Better than dragging lizzards or gophers into the house though I guess.

I know this is bringing posts back from the dead but this brought back memories.

I had a Golden Retriever that use to steal socks and only my wife's. All our laundry had to be put up high otherwise she would grab a sock and literally swallow it whole within seconds. We counted 12 one spring when all the snow melted that she swallowed and pooped out whole.

We now have a Saint Bernard that isn't interested in my wife's clothing but rather my boxer shorts. He swallowed them whole and they got stuck half way down his throat. 3 separate vets, UT scans, x rays, camera and they couldn't figure out what was causing him having issues breathing. Then the day before he had a CT scan scheduled he pooped out a pair of my underwear, the lump in his neck went away and all was well.....

So yea... watch your hops and clothing LOL

I'm sorry for your loss :(

I know this is bringing posts back from the dead but this brought back memories.

I had a Golden Retriever that use to steal socks and only my wife's. All our laundry had to be put up high otherwise she would grab a sock and literally swallow it whole within seconds. We counted 12 one spring when all the snow melted that she swallowed and pooped out whole.

We now have a Saint Bernard that isn't interested in my wife's clothing but rather my boxer shorts. He swallowed them whole and they got stuck half way down his throat. 3 separate vets, UT scans, x rays, camera and they couldn't figure out what was causing him having issues breathing. Then the day before he had a CT scan scheduled he pooped out a pair of my underwear, the lump in his neck went away and all was well.....

So yea... watch your hops and clothing LOL

My 5 year old lab does this as well. She will dig through the laundry basket to find my socks and take them. Oddly enough she wont chew on them, she just wants to hoard them. Odd animal.

My 5 year old lab does this as well. She will dig through the laundry basket to find my socks and take them. Oddly enough she wont chew on them, she just wants to hoard them. Odd animal.

I''m just thankful my Golden had an iron gut. I don't want to know what the bill would have been to remove a sock lodged in her stomach.

Back