My Clearest Beer Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
What a sight! Blonde Ale. 93% Maris Otter, 7% biscuit, 19IBUs Fuggles, full boil, Whirlfloc, Wyeast 1968, bottle conditioned, primary only, 1 month in fridge.

I had one batch with 1968 that was pretty turbid and I was pretty disappointed. I can make clear beer!

DSC01367.JPG

This is why most micros use 1968. It clears out well and quick. The whirlfloc helped too.

Forrest

Great looking pint jescholler, quite impressive for bottle conditioned Blonde. You have inspired me to try some 1968.

Cheers..

fuggles is such a great hop. I think I could survive on Fuggles, EKG and Williamette alone......well maybe some simcoe, chinook or summit too.

That is awesome. None of mine have ever turned out that clear yet

Nice. I just brewed my clearest beer a little bit back. Not sure if it looked THAT good, but pretty close. I found myself pulling pints just to look at it. Unfortunately, because of that, the keg is now empty...

I found a three month old bottle in the back of my fridge once, it was like that, like glass. Hey was the sediment cake in the bottom solid? I upended the bottle and no sediment came out, it was awesome!

How'd it taste?

Revvy,
I'm not sure about the sediment in the bottle. I didn't notice. Unfortunately the older ones are gone, and the newer ones have only been in the fridge for a week or so. I don't think the sediment was very compact because I recall SWMBO pouring one last week where she pretty much upended the bottle and got every last drop. I'm pretty sure that one was cloudy.

As far as the taste, I'm pretty happy with it. It's definitely a very simple recipe that gets its character from the Maris Otter and 1968. I was going for an easy drinker and it is. It could use a little more bitterness though (maybe 5-7). As far as the process stuff goes, I think I'm starting to make much higher quality beers with the little things I learn from here and other podcasts.

I don't pick up much fruitiness, if any at all. That could be due to my unrefined palate or because I fermented this one somewhat cool (67F). Wyeast claims that the fruity character starts to get strong at 70F. I've never fermented 1968 that warm though, so I don't know for sure.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't expect this thread to generate so much attention. I was just so happy that I had to tell SOMEONE, and SWMBO didn't really care.

Latest posts

Back