measuring water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
I plan to build a single tier stand this spring..with that i am going to bolt on a water filtration system so I can use my tap water. My plan was to filter the water and then put it directly into the HLT. That is where the issue arises (arrives..i am not sure).
How would you measure the amount of water filtered?
I would rather go with a clocking meter over just a sight glass but the ones I have found are ether expensive or so cheep its questionable on its food safe.

Well, I have a sight glass on mine but don't rely on them only. I also go with the old fashioned piece of dowel from the hardware store and notched 1/2 gallon measurements. Easiest, cheapest and most accurate I have found.

+1 on the wooden stick. But- try a square length of wood. You can use one side for vol in your HLT cold & one side for hot. You can use another for measuring your wort into your BK from your MT. The fourth side you can reserve for future needs!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 on the wooden stick. But- try a square length of wood. You can use one side for vol in your HLT cold & one side for hot. You can use another for measuring your wort into your BK from your MT. The fourth side you can reserve for future needs!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ooooor a round dowel with Blue lines for cold and red lines for hot...or better yet triangle. Just bustin, that's a great idea glad u thought of it;)

I use an enameled steel yard stick. In my 10 gallon kettles I know each gallon is 1.5 inches and in my 20 gallon each gallon is 0.75 inches. All it takes is a bit of math to quickly know how much I actually have in the kettle. I use this method for water before the mash, for sparge water and for wort from the MLT for pre-boil volume.

Guess I should relax about having exact measurements (is that .5 or .05 of a pint?) :D

I use a yard stick and calculate volume with the diameter of the pot and the height of the liquid.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Back