Let's see some pics of your pilsners/lagers in carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaundesjardins

Reaction score
I just racked my pilsner to a secondary last night and it just seems a little darker than what I was thinking it would look like. (almost a light amber colour)
I'm curious to see if you guys have made pilsners that look as dark as mine while in a carboy.
So....let's see 'em!

IME, a large "mass" of beer is always deceivingly darker than what ends up in the glass.

I could photograph my pilsner for you but all you'd see is a white bucket (and if I wait until x-fer, then all you'd see is a corny).

:D

Beer always looks darker when you are looking at it in a carboy. When you look at it in a glass you have 2-3 inches of beer to look through, when it is in a carboy you have 12 inches or so to look through. In other words, the light has to travel through more beer.

Here is a Kolsch that came out pretty light in the end.
100_2536.jpg

The clearer a liquid is, the more light it refracts/absorbs, so the more it clears up during the lagering process, the darker it will appear. Take a sample, put it into a pilsner glass, and photograph it for us. You're not going to get much out of pictures, because you'd also have to factor in lighting level, clarity level, etc. for each photo, and that's pretty damn near impossible. Instead, you photograph yours and post it---but do it in a pilsner glass or some other thin vessel like that.

It actually looks pretty similar in colour to Beerrific's Kolsch pic so I'm not so worried anymore.
Thanks for the input guys.
The only other batches under my belt are a dark ale (wasn't worried that is was dark) and a hefeweizen. (came out a beautiful and cloudy light gold/amber)

Back