Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > lawsuit against Bud and others for diluting beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default lawsuit against Bud and others for diluting beer...

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...26&id=16168855

Not surprised.

beerloaf
"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I thought it was tasting better as of late.

BoxMan Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I'm surprised AB cares enough about a $5m lawsuit to even bother to respond in the press the way they did. They probably spill more than that a day.

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 43

All joking aside I thought that was the usual process for them in making their beer. It makes sense doesn't it, we all know it is hard to exactly predict that your beer will come out at 5.1% but for us it doesn't matter. It makes good sense to brew a stronger beer then teste the ABV and then you know how much water to add to get you to 5%.
Funnest thing is it states the lawsuit is based on information from former employees. Whos to say they had any idea of the process and all they saw was beer being watered down

Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 49

"Budweiser and Michelob each boast of being 5 percent alcohol, while some "light" versions are said to be just over 4 percent."

"The excess water is added just before bottling and cuts the stated alcohol content by 3 percent to 8 percent, he said."

I could be understanding this wrong, but taking the greatest ABV (5) and the greatest dilution (8) that would make 4.6% ABV...with the least ABV (4) and the least dilution (3) that would give you 3.88% ABV. It seems like a pretty big lawsuit for a loss of 0.12-0.40% ABV

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Hmm, I see there are multiple threads on this. So, I'll copy some of what I said in another thread. I think it has been a practice of AB to brew a stronger beer and water it down for quite some time. The key is, the beer starts out stronger than the 5% ABV advertised on the bottle and then is blended down to the correct strength. I think this practice saves them tank space and allows them to brew more beer, saving them money.

Again, I suspect Josh Boxer got drunk one night, one of the AB Fairfield plant employees was at the same party, told him about this practice and, when he woke up the next day, he didn't remember it correctly, "AB adds water to their beer to save money?!?! Lawsuit time!!"

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Aboo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just how much water would you have to add to a 5% ABV beer to remove 3% of that ABV? It would have to be 3/1 water at that point, wouldn't it?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
More_Hops_Please
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post
Just how much water would you have to add to a 5% ABV beer to remove 3% of that ABV? It would have to be 3/1 water at that point, wouldn't it?
3% of 5% is .15% of delta. So that'd be 4.85% ABV final product.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post
"The excess water is added just before bottling and cuts the stated alcohol content by 3 percent to 8 percent, he said."

I took this as a literal statement. If the stated content is 5% ABV, cutting that by 3% results in 4.85%. I could be wrong, but to me it seemed logical.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

And the Attorneys will settle the suit, collect 60% and the US moves on to the next lawsuit.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Quick Reply