Is it just me, or does lactose have a particular off sweetness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedYellow

Reaction score
After using lactose twice in recent batches, I'm detecting a strange sweetness from it. Sorta like artificial sweetener. Anyone else notice this? I'm not liking it.

First batch was an imperial mokah stout where I used 0.5 lb per 5-gal. Second was a pumpkin ale with 0.25 lb. Both have the slight artificial sweetener taste. My wife detects it too, so I don't think I'm totally crazy (yet).

Seems like using more crystal malt and/or mashing higher is a much better alternative to lactose.

I'll let you know when I try my sweet milk stout in a few weeks. I dumped a 1lb bag into a 4 gallon batch. Never used lactose before so I'm just guessing at the appropriate amount. Not a huge loss to me if it comes out WAY over lactosed, it was a batch born from second runnings.

When did you add the lactose? During boil, secondary, bottling? Maybe that could play a role? I boiled mine with about 15 minutes left in the boil.

I'll let you know when I try my sweet milk stout in a few weeks. I dumped a 1lb bag into a 4 gallon batch. Never used lactose before so I'm just guessing at the appropriate amount. Not a huge loss to me if it comes out WAY over lactosed, it was a batch born from second runnings.

When did you add the lactose? During boil, secondary, bottling? Maybe that could play a role? I boiled mine with about 15 minutes left in the boil.

That does sound a little on the heavy side for a 4 gallon batch...I used a .5 lb of lactose in my 5 gallon batch o f double chocolate milk stout (added with 5 minutes left of the 60 minute boil) and it was the perfect amount of sweetness.

I used 1 lb in my chocolate porter. Whole can of cocoa and then chocloate nibs in the secondary. When I bottled it tasted like just the right amount of sweetness. I didn't notice a strange flavor though. We'll see once the bottles are carbed up in 3 weeks (ok, maybe 2!)

5 gallon recipe...

I used 1 lb in my chocolate porter. Whole can of cocoa and then chocloate nibs in the secondary. When I bottled it tasted like just the right amount of sweetness. I didn't notice a strange flavor though. We'll see once the bottles are carbed up in 3 weeks (ok, maybe 2!)

5 gallon recipe...

A whole CAN of cocoa!? Isn't that like 16 ounces? I was planning on adding 1/2 cup to my stout.

A whole CAN of cocoa!? Isn't that like 16 ounces? I was planning on adding 1/2 cup to my stout.

I think it's like 8 ounces. But yeah, a whole regular can. That is what most recipes that I looked at called for. Cocoa is pretty light stuff.

You might also consider that I was going for CHOCOLATE flavor in this beer. It's for the wife and I thought it would be better that way. It tasted ok in the bottling bucket, but if it fades over time I think it will still have a nice chocloate flavor.

I think it will turn out nice for her, and fine for me. I'd prefer a bit more hops and roasted malts to make it really balanced, but she is more sensitive to the bitterness than I am.

Back