If you are an AHA member...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
... time to vote. Vote ends March 31.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/

If you want to save baby penguins from certain death, decrease the chances of global warming affecting my orange sherbet by about 3%, and ensure domestic tranquility, you'll cast a vote for the HBT members that are running.

The HBT members that are in the race (if there are ones that I missed, please tell me!):

Lorena Evans (our Yooper)
evans.jpg

Martin Brungard (our mabrungard)
brungard.jpg

Daniel Fick (our mors)
fick.jpg

Craig Hendry (our msbrewblog)
hendry.jpg

Jonathan Fuller (our morticaixavier)
fuller.jpg

I love the AHA and am glad that there are folks willing to put the time and effort in it to make it such a great organization. I voted a couple of weeks ago.

If you want to save baby penguins from certain death, decrease the chances of global warming affecting my orange sherbet by about 3%, and ensure domestic tranquility, you'll cast a vote for the HBT members that are running.

Tall order there, passedpawn!

I also think a vote would help ensure that beer is safe from marauders, mead is loved universally, and cider is loved by non-UK people. Oh, and world peace. World peace, too! :D

For those of you that knew the AHA prior to the creation of the Governing Committee, you know that its creation was a big change in the AHA. The organization was really a top down thing where orders came from 'on-high' and we members lived with them. I think we members got a LOT more input when the committee was created. They have done a pretty good job and I hope to continue their work.

A more important point that I would like all HBT participants to consider is: Join AHA. It is a good organization and its our only unified voice in keeping and improving our rights in homebrewing. Plus, the magazine is good and the events are fun. I feel that I get my money's worth out of AHA membership.

I agree with those above. The AHA does do a lot and I think they need to let people know (members of the AHA and non-members alike) exactly what they do. I can't tell you how many times in the past few months I get asked what the AHA does for homebrewers. People also seem very keen to know what the AHA spends it's money on. The AHA doesn't currently release any kind of financial reports. I would like to try and get this info better showcased on the site (or in some cases there at all) and to make the financials at least a little more transparent...

Thanks to passedpawn for 'the love' and creating this thread. Remember every AHA member gets up to 8 votes because there are 8 positions available on the Governing Committee... You don't need to use all 8 if you don't want to... you could use lets say.... 3 ;-)

I agree with those above. The AHA does do a lot and I think they need to let people know (members of the AHA and non-members alike) exactly what they do. I can't tell you how many times in the past few months I get asked what the AHA does for homebrewers. People also seem very keen to know what the AHA spends it's money on. The AHA doesn't currently release any kind of financial reports. I would like to try and get this info better showcased on the site (or in some cases there at all) and to make the financials at least a little more transparent...

Thanks to passedpawn for 'the love' and creating this thread. Remember every AHA member gets up to 8 votes because there are 8 positions available on the Governing Committee... You don't need to use all 8 if you don't want to... you could use lets say.... 3 ;-)
I never thought about that and I haven't joined up yet for no other reason than I didn't know if this hobby would stick. Now that I think I do, I will join. As for public financials, if you know of another organization that isn't publicly traded (where financials have to be public) then you can use that as precedent. It may not mean that you will succeed, but if there is another private organization out there who willingly shows where the money is spent, then it helps put weight on your case. You probably know that, but I like hearing myself type.

Best of luck to all of you. :)

I never thought about that and I haven't joined up yet for no other reason than I didn't know if this hobby would stick. Now that I think I do, I will join. As for public financials, if you know of another organization that isn't publicly traded (where financials have to be public) then you can use that as precedent. It may not mean that you will succeed, but if there is another private organization out there who willingly shows where the money is spent, then it helps put weight on your case. You probably know that, but I like hearing myself type.

Best of luck to all of you. :)

Yeah I'm not even looking for every penny kinds of reports just 'in general stuff'. The BJCP recently published theirs and I thought they were great.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2013_BJCP_Annual_Report.pdf
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2013_BJCP_ANNUAL_FINANCIAL_REPORT.pdf

I'm not saying the AHA needs to do what the BJCP does (and I realize the AHA is much bigger etc...) but I think some of the info being out there could only help the organization because it seems like it would set some minds at ease.

As far as joining the AHA... If for only totally selfish reasons the Zymurgy magazine subscription is worth the price of your membership. The fact that you get discounts at some places is also very nice and the AHA does seem to constantly be adding new places to the list. Unselfishly your funds help homebrewers in general in this country. Be it for lobbying for new laws, research, or just lending some credibility to our beloved hobby.

I'm also in the running for a seat on the AHA Governing Committee. I'd appreciate your consideration and your vote.

#Vote4Craig

For those of you that knew the AHA prior to the creation of the Governing Committee, you know that its creation was a big change in the AHA. The organization was really a top down thing where orders came from 'on-high' and we members lived with them. I think we members got a LOT more input when the committee was created. They have done a pretty good job and I hope to continue their work.

A more important point that I would like all HBT participants to consider is: Join AHA. It is a good organization and its our only unified voice in keeping and improving our rights in homebrewing. Plus, the magazine is good and the events are fun. I feel that I get my money's worth out of AHA membership.

Well said Martin.

I wasn't around in the days before the GC but I have been impressed with the work they have done recently.

There is still a lot of work to be done and after all the help and support I have received from AHA members over the years I decided this year that I could pay it forward a bit myself.

Yeah I'm not even looking for every penny kinds of reports just 'in general stuff'. The BJCP recently published theirs and I thought they were great.

I'm not saying the AHA needs to do what the BJCP does (and I realize the AHA is much bigger etc...) but I think some of the info being out there could only help the organization because it seems like it would set some minds at ease.

As far as joining the AHA... If for only totally selfish reasons the Zymurgy magazine subscription is worth the price of your membership. The fact that you get discounts at some places is also very nice and the AHA does seem to constantly be adding new places to the list. Unselfishly your funds help homebrewers in general in this country. Be it for lobbying for new laws, research, or just lending some credibility to our beloved hobby.

The BJCP probably feels compelled to report their financials after that embezzlement fiasco... :D

The BJCP probably feels compelled to report their financials after that embezzlement fiasco... :D

heh yeah I'm sure that's what prompted it but even so... I think it's a good practice rather there is a scandal to force the issue or not...

I'm curious as well to see where the money goes and to see what programs/portions are being funded and by how much. It's not a conspiracy theory thing at all, just curiosity and I think the AHA publishing where funds are being distributed would be a good for everyone.

As for voting, anyone who wrote in their AHA candidate statement a specific method or change to improve upon, got my vote.

I'd think that the AHA is some variety of 501(c) not-for-profit (maybe an educational association?) so they must provide the IRS their financial information. Publishing that info makes sense, or many not-for-profit's publish their auditor's report.

Well.... Thanks to all those that voted... Now we wait for the results to be tabulated.... ;-)

Yes, and while I realize that someone must finish first, and someone must finish last, my insecurity is popping out!

And of course, it doesn't help that I told Bob, "Well, I know that Homer voted for me, so at least that's one vote!" He answered, quite seriously, "Well, then you know it wasn't a total shut out".

He makes me feel so good about myself! :p

I'm almost certain you got at least four votes . .

;)

Woo Hoo! It wasn't a total shut out! :rockin::rockin::rockin:

But I only voted once for myself. We got up to 8 votes, but apparently they were allowed for 8 different candidates. :D

I'm kidding of course. There are a LOT of great candidates, and I know many of them personally or through this forum, and I don't think there is any wrong choice at all.

No I think anyone that is so involved in homebrewing that they one day think to themselves... "I'll run for the national association and see if I can help out other homebrewers"... Will probably no at least somewhat interested in the hobby and will bring some good ideas to the table.

Congratulations to Martin and a big thank you to the others who ran. I would never put myself out there like that, to run in a contested election - well done to all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back