I compare two otherwise identical beers - fermented with and without lots of trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
You may be aware of Brulosopher and his excellent exBEERiments. Recently, he did one where he split a ten gallon batch of cream ale into two fermenters; one carboy had the trub carefully whirlpooled/filtered out, while the other had a lot of trub dumped in.

He did his own writeup on the process and the results, but was kind enough to send me a bottle of each of the beers. While the OG and FG were the same, the differences (in clarity especially, but also in aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel) were fairly striking.

If you like, go read my review of the truby vs. non-truby beers.

It would be interesting to do this experiment with a heavily hopped IPA.

You may be aware of Brulosopher and his excellent exBEERiments. Recently, he did one where he split a ten gallon batch of cream ale into two fermenters; one carboy had the trub carefully whirlpooled/filtered out, while the other had a lot of trub dumped in.

He did his own writeup on the process and the results, but was kind enough to send me a bottle of each of the beers. While the OG and FG were the same, the differences (in clarity especially, but also in aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel) were fairly striking.

If you like, go read my review of the truby vs. non-truby beers.

Nice write-up!

Brolosopher mentioned a sort of "bite" in truby, did you perceive a sharper taste as well? You say sharp, crisp, and bitterness from the hops, but could it be something else? FOr example, an added flavor picked up from the trub.

Brolosopher mentioned a sort of "bite" in truby, did you perceive a sharper taste as well? You say sharp, crisp, and bitterness from the hops, but could it be something else? FOr example, an added flavor picked up from the trub.

I did perceive a sharper taste in the truby version, but as I tried to really savor it, I decided that every flavor aspect from truby was there in non-truby; it's not like there was an off flavor. It was more that the flavors were more intense, particularly when it came to the hop aspects.

I realize this is :off: but what ever came of your own "Shipping Simulation" of that brew you sent in for review? I looked at the thread on Reddit but I didn't see an update.

Latest posts

Back