Hydrometer reading, can i bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonw22

Reaction score
Hi, my first brew is nearly complete but the reading has been stuck on 1012 (the black in pic)for a few days now? Is it ok to bottle? I am brewing a gone with the wheat beer with SG 1040. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410601508.416537.jpg

Probably ok if you must, but why not give it another week?
That said, we don't know how long you have had it there.
Another week will only improve your situation, there is no downside.

This is what it looks like at the moment. I have transfered from fermenting bucket to demi john as i thought i was only couple of days away. I dont have to bottle now just dont want it to go 'off' if i leave it. Im new to brewing so maybe im just jumping the gun. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410602135.570583.jpg

Then wait !
It won't go off.
Four to six weeks is very normal before bottling, it looks as though there is still something going on in your brew, so long as there is an airlock on your container I would leave it be for a bit.

Ok thanks for advice. It has been fermenting 3 weeks this tuesday. I will leave and see how it gets on.

That's the right call, three weeks is not long enough, your brew will be better for it.
I know it's hell waiting for your first brews, the thing to do now is to get the next one going as your FV is now empty.
Keeping the flow line going is one of the harder aspects of the hobby.

Well I'll disagree a little bit. 3 weeks is typically long enough.

OP, are you concerned because the gravity hasn't gotten into the zone on your hydrometer marked "bottle?" Because if that's your worry then forget about it. Many beer styles (depending on yeast strain, grain and/or extract and a few other things) will never get that low. Ignore that part of your hydrometer and just look at the actual numbers.

If it has been at 1.012 for three straight days you're pretty safe to bottle. Letting it sit longer won't hurt anything, so let it sit if you'd like.

Hi gameface, yes your correct i have been waiting for the beer to get the the yellow markings. I am happy to wait if need be if it doesnt harm the beer. Il check again tomorrow morning.

So if the readings continue to show 1012 then u feel i should bottle?

Yeah I agree with Gameface. 3 weeks is typically long enough, especially for a beer that started at 1.040. I usually let mine sit between 2-3 weeks and if I get 2 readings that are the same (or close within a point or two) I bottle. You have 3 days of the same reading, I say bottle it up.

3.7 according to brewers friend. You should have a look at some brewing software, i use brewersfriend.com but there are plenty out there and a variety of opinions

3.7 wont be enough, i best let the brew continue for now then.

The O.G. most likely will not go lower. It's done.

Why is 3.7% not enough? What do you want it to be?

You could add simple sugar if you absolutely must have more alcohol.

Chances are if its stayed the same for 2 days thats all you are going to get, for higher alcohol levels you need to start with a higher gravity :) if you are more worried about alcohol than flavour then an extra bag of dextrose in the mix at the start will go a long way.

Im after 5%. When i bottle i will add 2 carbonation drops will that make a difference?

Because im using gone with the wheat i dont need to use sugar. The ingredients use sorgham extract as its gluten free.

The main difference will be too much co2 causing most of your beer to gusg everywhere. Depending on the size of your bottles. I use 2 drops for 750ml bottles

It wont drastically change the alcohol, your beer would be very fizzy but mght not gush. Your best bet is to bottle this one with 1.5-2 drops and try to boost the alcohol on your next batch. By puting in more sugar or reducing the water volume.

Im after 5%. When i bottle i will add 2 carbonation drops will that make a difference?

Don't use priming sugar (carb drops) to boost alcohol! That will cause potential bottle bombs.

I'm not advocating this, but you could add a couple pounds of dextrose. I think the ballpark estimate is that it will add 0.5% per lb in a 5g batch.

But if you do this your beer will be quite thin (watery). It already started as a low gravity beer at 1.040 (which is why the abv is low) so to bump it up with simple sugar you're just thinning it out even more.

Edit, just to be clear I'm talking about adding sugar to the fermenter and letting it ferment out.

So in future, how can i ensure i start with a high gravity?

The kit i use is 'no sugar' just yeast, sorgham extract and bottle flavouring.

Ive never used a kit like that, but you need to increase the ratio of fermentables (sorghum in this case i guess) to water. So add more sorghum or use less water. Or you could add sugar ir dextrose as these are pretty standard fermentables and will increase abv. Where abouts are you from?

Add more fermentables in the beginning. Get a better kit.

Im from london uk.

Because i have celiac disease i am wheat/barley intolarent so the lager must be gluten free.

Your sorgham extract it your source of fermentable sugars. If you add more of this, your OG will be higher and you will get more alcohol in your beer. How it affects the flavor of the beer is questionable.

Personally i would make a batch that is the same size but with an extra half of a kit. Also have a search through the. Site for gf kits and brewing, its not something i know anything about

Back