Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How many of you enjoyed your first

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
drewN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How many of you enjoyed your first

How many of you enjoyed the first home brew you brewed, im a bit discouraged on how mine came out. Did anyone else have their first batch go wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

No, it came out pretty great, had my pro brewer friend wanting more of it. I considered it a success.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mine was meh. Wasn't bad, but wasn't great. A year later and I'm making some beers that I think are better than what the store carries

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 826

My first batch was a all grain and no one to help me along other than what I read in books. Stuck sparges lousy temp control and a limp boil to say the least. And it felt like it took days to finish cleaning up. The next batch I will tell you I sat there for a good long time holding the bag of grain NOT wanting to do it.

But over time and once I got to drink that first batch I started to look forward to brewing

Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My first batch has been one of my best so far. Probably because it was a Papazian recipe and everything was already clean.

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: N/A
Bottle: Belgian Battering Ram (Tripel), Assassyn (IIPA), I Am GRoot Beer

Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 55

My first beer, while at least recognizable as "beer," was super estery from not bothering to control fermentation temperature (even a clean yeast like Safale US-05 will make a "belgiany" beer if you ferment in the mid-to-high 70's...), yeasty from bottling too soon, and under-hopped for reasons I'm still trying to nail down (probably just not enough hops).

It wasn't anywhere close to what I was aiming for style-wise, but it was at least drinkable, and it served as an excellent point of comparison to my much-improved second batch.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

It was a long while ago but I enjoyed my first batch... not because it was a great beer but because it was my first batch. Things will improve over time with more experience, look at it as what it is - your first attempt to brew beer. No doubt you had some "issues" that you would do differently on the next batch.
What was so wrong with you beer? Biggest beginner problem I would assume would be controlling the fermentation temperature, what was yours?

People Like This 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Mine was so-so. Definitely showed the effect of high ferment temps...

Stick with it, and remember that brewing, like baking, is very process-oriented. Each incremental process step you improve makes the beer a little bit better, and what you'll find over time is that each little bit makes a BIG difference when you add them all together.

My #1 tip is to make sure you're controlling fermentation temps, though. This will result in an immediate and significant improvement...

Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

My first was Ok at best. Pitched yeast too hot and I couldn't get temp. down quick enough. My second I believe is pretty good though but I only had one after only just a little over a week in the bottle but I enjoyed it even then. I brewed my third this weekend and I checked the gravity yesterday and even the wort was amazing.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The only issue that I recognized at the time, was that I didn't know what an English IPA was. All I saw was "IPA," and I expected it to be super hoppy. A homebrewing acquaintance at the time said it was pretty good for a first brew.

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: N/A
Bottle: Belgian Battering Ram (Tripel), Assassyn (IIPA), I Am GRoot Beer

Quick Reply