How to fix (Possible) overcarbonated beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xzarfna

Reaction score
Hi! I recently made a batch of dark beer - my own recipe, hard to class as any type of beer - I'd say stout or porter but thats beside the point.
My problem is - I had some issues when i bottled it:
1. Due to a broken syphon - i had to transfer my brew to another vessel which had a tap before bottling - resulting in more sediment than ideal mixing into the beer.
2. When batch priming - i appear to have added too much sugar to the mix.

These two things have come together to create bottles, which while they don't exactly "gush" they do foam a lot, and cause most of the sediment (a lot due to point 1) in the bottles to resuspend when opened. The beer still tastes very nice (which i am very happy to say - it cost a lot to make for a student budget) the only problem is the appearance of the beer, which goes from a lovely velvet black in the bottle to honest to God Diarrhea brown opaque when poured.

Is there anyway i can prevent the other bottles from doing this? I seemed to have limited success with 2l bottles of it, opening it, letting some fizz out, then capping it afterwards, letting yeast settle for a few days then pouring - but with my 500ml bottles the amount that foams out is proportionately much more and wastes quite a lot of this lovely brew.

As the beer doesn't taste sour after weeks since bottling, i would guess that it's not an infection - simply massive overcarbonation, but then again, i'm no expert :S

If anyone wants to try my beer - i've posted it on the recipes forum - its technically sound as long as you don't balls it up like i did here :p

Unfortunately the only way to deal with them is to uncap and recap periodically until the level gets to where you want.

If the beer tastes fine it is not infected, just overcarbonated. I am assuming these beers have at least been refrigerated for several days to a week prior to opening? If not, try that as well.

Back