Help me with this hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to tell, but I'd guess ~1.010. If it was my batch that's what I'd put in my log book...

The hydrometer is obviously the more "scientific" method of measurement. The alternative, more fun method would be to just drink a few bottles and go from there...

Thanks for the input. I'll check again Monday and if it's the same. I'll bottle as that's my day off.

I'm surprised it's so low already. It's only been a week.....

I think my problem was I didn't put enough in the test tube. I ended up drinking it and it was great.

Thanks for the input. I'll check again Monday and if it's the same. I'll bottle as that's my day off.

I'm surprised it's so low already. It's only been a week.....

I think my problem was I didn't put enough in the test tube. I ended up drinking it and it was great.

At a week it should usually be at final gravity. A few more days to a few weeks will allow the yeast to clean up off flavors created during the fermentation. Some like only a few days some like a month or more. I got 14 to 21 days usually.

Unless I get lazy. I have left beers in primary for almost 2 months with no ill effects.

Just look at how much green is sticking up and retrieve hydrometer and get a good eye ball on it. With my eyes that's what I do. Looks like a 1010 to me.

I'd say 1.012. With the bubbles around it, surface tension of the beer and the angle, it looks like it would probably be 1.012 if it were in a tube.

Back