Has anyone tried Utopias?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried a glass of it yesterday, not very impressive at all. It's an interesting flavor and worth trying it just for the hell of it but it wasn't THAT good. Its not a beer at all, get that idea out of your head if its in there. If you want to try it find a couple people who also want to split a bottle.

Its supposed to be consumed in small amounts (2 oz or so) at a time. Im sure some of the nice bars might carry it behind the counter and would probably cost you a little more than a shot.

I've never tried ot, nut would love to just for the experience. My buddy is a manager at a high end liquot store that gets a lot of stuff others dont. They are having their first ever beer tasting on the 12th. I doubt they'd offer it up, but it is their first go 'round and maybe it'd be worth it to thwm just to show off. I know they have 2 cases in stock.

Off topic. I haven't talked to this guy in over a year and ran into him over the holiday. I forgot how big his store was and as a result he's got 2 each of Life & Limb and Sierra Estate on hold for me.

I've tried it. Someone coined the term, "Malt brandy". Definitely not beer and I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Why do people keep saying it's "not beer", when it meets all the criteria for a beverage to be considered "beer"? It's fermented, not distilled... it uses barley as it's base... I'm not seeing why this is not beer.

Not your average beer, sure... but "not beer"? It's certainly not brandy, whisky, or port... those processes are QUITE different.

I don't think sours "taste like beer" either, but I'm not going to try to convince anyone that they aren't beer based just on that... :)

I would love to try this stuff, but I doubt I'll get the chance... I've certainly got better stuff to spend $200 on. :)

I had a couple samples at GABF. I really lied it. It's definitely more of a sipping in small quantities type of beer. Served around room temp with no carbonation. I don;t think I'd pay $150/bottle for it, but I did enjoy it. I doubt bars would have it, especially with the limitd quantities. Plus, I wonder how ling the bottle would be good for once opened. Probably your best bet for sampling would be to go in on a bottle with some friends.

I found it to be rather horrible...

However, Brewdog "Jacking" their stout into the 30's?? Oh yeah, I'd like to try that..

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=214

Isn't that "freeze-distillation"? That's something Utopias definitely doesn't do, and I would think it would disqualify it as a naturally-fermented beverage? All About Beer had an article on big beers a couple of issues ago and touched on this....

Opened my bottle of 2009 Utopias on Saturday night. This beer is fantastic. I think to really understand that it is not a typical beer really helps. Thick, no carbonation, totally coats the glass. Nice brilliant dark brown, syrupy looking. The aroma and taste are hot, with a lot of brown and burnt sugar, fruit, and caramel notes. I would liken this to a port wine, a bourbon, or another liquor. Very interesting beer and I am glad I have a bottle. I might have poured a couple of ounces total, so I have a long way to go on this bottle and I'm excited to see how it changes.

Back