Gravity and boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin_hubbell

Reaction score
Yesturday I brewed a dunkelweizen. During the boil I lost more liquid then usuall. My question is I took the original gravity and it was higher then I expected. It was 1.078 and I was expecting 1.050 ish . I checked my hydrometer with a water sample just to make sure it wasn't off (its a new hydro) Do you think this gravity was dure to liquid loss or any thoughts, thanks.

This is exactly related to greater boil-off, or as you state "liquid loss". With greater evaporation you concentrate the wort more, resulting in a higher OG.

In the future, if you desire, you can add some boiled water to dilute it back down to reach your desired OG and volume; there are calculators online to help you figure out how much you would need to add.

Good luck.

:mug:

depends on how much liquid you actually lost. If you lost alot then i guess you could end up overshooting by that much. How much beer was the recipe supposed to make? How much did you end up with after the boil? From now on if you end up boiling off too much just top it back up with water...boiled and cooled water that is.

yea you need some more preboil volume, i'm boiling 6.5 gallons down to 5.00 gallons in a 60 minute time frame.

Back