General Discussion - Mixed Fruit Stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this beer will turn out ok?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hefftomology

Reaction score
Me and a friend have made a fruit stout that hasn't exactly gone to plan the whole way through. Although we wanted to experiment anyway, so we tried lots of different things.

Ingredients;

Maris Otter -3140g
Flaked Barley -895g
Roast Barley -445g
Crystal Malts -260g
Black Malts -300g
Elderflower -50g
Target Hops -32g
Cascade Hops -100g
Frozen Mixed Fruit -900g

Wine Yeast - 1 Sachet
Beer Yeast - 2 Sachet (one died :()

We started from grain, everything was going fine..
Pitched in the yeast too early and it died, so about 30hrs later we thought screw it, shove some wine yeast in there. After that, we waited another 30hrs (roughly), there had been some activity but not a great deal, so in goes a batch of beer yeast. WOO!
After fermentation had finished, it was left a few days before we could do anything else due to being out of town. About 3 i think. We tasted it and surprisingly it actually tasted quite nice.. So there the beer was stewing in its own juices and we thought what could possibly make this better (or most likely worse)... FRUIT! So we nipped to the local supermarket, YAY FROZEN MIXED FRUIT! Whapped that in a grain bag, whapped it in the bottom of a second barrel, and racked the beer onto it. Left it for about a week, and we're set to bottle tomorrow.

However, we tasted it today, and it didn't taste bad (again, surprisingly) but it does taste a little tart. IT just has a bit of a sour kick, not much, but otherwise it tastes as good as it did before.

Is there any way we can do something to cover up the tartness. Doubtful, as something's bound to have gone off :O
But worth a shot. :mug:

No poll needed.

QUIT SCREWING WITH IT!!!!!!

BOTTLE/KEG IT.

LET IT AGE...

very few of my beers taste good, flat, warm and green...

brewery on Li,NY just bottled what they call there snozberry stout...a milk stout base with a mix of raspberries and blueberries. lemme tell you i LOVE this tart/fruity taste in a stout gives it a lil to work on and almost makes it "lighter" to the mind. great body and amazing mouthfeel

Back