"Frost Brewed"??? WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pangea

Reaction score
I just realized I've been watching these Coors Light commercials for a while now and I just caught that they're touting their beer as being "Frost Brewed". What the hell does that mean? How do you frost brew? Yeah I understand that your beer is very refreshing, like water on a hot day, thus the ice and snow theme in your commercials. But Frost Brewed? Thats redonkulous!

I almost think this is crazier than the miller triple hops brewed. At least they are referencing an actual part of the beer making process.

Just getting this off my chest...

Pangea.

I saw a Coors commercial that had a little * that said "Our beer is chilled down to 33 degrees several times in the brewing process." (or something like that) So I guess that is what they mean.

IT's COLD!!!If you can't say anything good about the taste of your beer you can at least tell people it's cold.Seriously have you ever had warm coors light eeeeewwwww It's like a silver bullet to the GI trac.

I would guess that it is lagered at 34° after Primary fermentation to ’smooth out’ for a particularly crisp beer..... That my guess anyway.

So, "frost brewed" = lagered? Wow. That's all. Just wow.

Wait, that's not all... 'brewing', IMO, defines at minimum the pre-fermentation part of making beer. Once it's in the fermenter, it's fermenting, not brewing! And once it's in the lagering phase, it's lagering!... or conditioning, if you prefer. Secondly, where is the frost involved? Most beer (depending on gravity) will freeze at ~28°F. If they're lagering this at 33°F, it is no where near the frost line.

So here's my marketing message to ALL the commercial brewers out there... Do you want to know what I look for in a beer and brewery?... INTEGRITY. We're not all idiots.

Remember it's cold or chill filtered or whatever they call it to.

But hey, if it wasn't the filtration wouldn't work so....

Oh yeah and brewing is the process before fermentation, so it's frost brewed at 212F. They must have some serious pressurization to make it a solid at 212.

my 2nd guess is they are refering to the water they use - since they claim that they use the water from the rockies, remember the whole rocky mountain water hoopla BS campaign??

Rocky Mountain Water, which was Snow/Ice + Marketing People = Frost Brewed Beer?

Or maybe they want to compete with the ice lagers (Icehouse, Bud Ice). Normally, one of these lagers are cooled down low enough for water to freeze on top....which is then skimmed off to help increase alcohol content. Maybe with Coors Light, they cool the beer down enough to be able to skim that frozen water and then sell that as beer :drunk::)

sounds more to me like a pretty way of describing normal rests during an all grain brew, probly get it really cold just before they add yeast or some pointless selling point like that.

it like saying your beer is heat treated to kill swine flu or something

that would be a great campaign to go with the whole"going green" thing.Coors light is now brewed with natural yeast!

Or maybe they want to compete with the ice lagers (Icehouse, Bud Ice). Normally, one of these lagers are cooled down low enough for water to freeze on top....which is then skimmed off to help increase alcohol content. Maybe with Coors Light, they cool the beer down enough to be able to skim that frozen water and then sell that as beer :drunk::)

+1 to this idea

I was told by a former master brewer at Miller that Miller Lite, and other "light" beers are brewed like "normal" beer, and then mixed with carbonated water prior to bottling/kegging. Coors Light is probably the same, so maybe they mix with really cold carbonated water.

I drink Coors Light every day and I like it. I don't pay attention to any kind of advertising so I have no idea what cold brewing is.

i dont see any mountains, so when does the bottle change color?? or does the beer change color, or does the label turn into beer??

Last edited by a moderator:
We're not all idiots.

Forgive me for the outrageous generalization, but most Coors light drinkers are in fact idiots, at least when it comes to beer. They don't know the first thing about the beer making process, nor do they care to. The marketing folks at Coors fully understand this, therefore they can make any claim they desire and their customers will take it as the gospel truth. Show a commercial during a NASCAR race with phrases like "frost brewed" and "cold filtered" with a picture of a Rocky mountain stream and "high country" barley and they start drooling all over their stained white tank-tops and cutoff jean shorts. :D

I was told by a former master brewer at Miller that Miller Lite, and other "light" beers are brewed like "normal" beer, and then mixed with carbonated water prior to bottling/kegging. Coors Light is probably the same, so maybe they mix with really cold carbonated water.

No. Although it is light beer, it is not fountain soda.
It is made like all other beer.. which is not by mixing with carbonated water. Where on earth did you get that from anyways?

It is made like all other beer.. which is not by mixing with carbonated water. Where on earth did you get that from anyways?

As I said in my post, a former Master Brewer for Miller Brewing Company. I also just decided to google it. Looks like there is some conflicting evidence, but here's something...

The Straight Dope: Is light beer made by watering it down?

Regardless, here is how Urban Dictionary defines Coors Light:

3. coors light
A highly overrated beer that was born in the great state of Colorado. If you were to drink real beer (St Bernardus Abt 12, Rochefort, Peche Mortel, Yeti, Old Ruffian, Arrogant Bastard, Hop Henge, Dreadnaught IPA...etc) and then take a piss into glass (1/4 full) then fill the rest up with carbonated water -you would have a beer that tastes like Coors Light (albeit a bit better).
Johnny drinks Coors Light because he can't handle beer that tastes like...well...beer!

Every year the megabrewers hold the catchphrase draft. This year Coors won with "Triple hopped" but they traded with Miler's for "Frost brewed"

In an unfortunate twist of fate, Budweiser ended up the the booby prize. "It's drinkable"

In an unfortunate twist of fate, Budweiser ended up the the booby prize. "It's drinkable"

Haha - Yeah, "drinkability"... all goes back to making sure the customers know that they won't get "bitter beer face."

My 100 degree / boat fishing / hanging out in the trailer beer (not being facetious) is Budweiser, so while I make fun, I still drink it on occasion. Just something about hanging out in camo in the hot sun or on a boat that makes Budweiser good. So I guess I'm not 100% beer snob.

Is all beer made the same way now?

Read up on high gravity brewing (the industry term, not the home brewing term) sometime.

This is what A-B has had Bamforth working on out in Davis all these years.

I just glad there's coors and miller to remind me of how wonderful my own homebrew is and can be.....you guys act like you want them to live up to some sort of standard of brewing integrity, but in reality, we all relish the fact that there's a huge crap beer market out there for us to work against.....it gives the craft brewing/home brewing community point of reference, as in "what we don't want to ever do is......."

...and really, BMC is like Mcdonalds. Think about some of the McDonalds commercials you've seen over the years...would you say their adds promote truth, honest marketing of a quality product, and integrity and craftsmanship in their product? Do you get all upset when Burger King makes their famous claim about their whoppers being "flame broiled"? I just fail to see the difference, or the point of getting all bunched up about it. IMHO, no one should ever get bunched up about anything any kind of commercial has to say (unless they're personally insulting your mother). As Phil Collin's might say - it's all a pack of lies.

Haha - Yeah, "drinkability"... all goes back to making sure the customers know that they won't get "bitter beer face."

My 100 degree / boat fishing / hanging out in the trailer beer (not being facetious) is Budweiser, so while I make fun, I still drink it on occasion. Just something about hanging out in camo in the hot sun or on a boat that makes Budweiser good. So I guess I'm not 100% beer snob.

I used to think the same thing when I first heard drinkability. I thought Nice advertisement "Hey, it's drinkable so why not?!" But then I heard Jim Koch of SA talking about it. It is an actual beer term referring to the smoothness allowing one to drink several in a row. Such as where some IIPA or Huge Imperial Stout is fantastic, it's not something you're going to drink a 12 pack of. Well for most people.

I too take my share of jabs around here at BMC cause this is where we can all be snobs without being snubbed for it, but in reality every beer has it's place and anyone who thinks the brewers for BMC companies are wonderful brewers is an idiot. There marketing people on the other hand are Deuches, but then again, that's what marketing is for.

I'll take my miller lite and PBR when the time is right. as 12 oz aluminum can is the perfect counter weight for cornhole/horseshoes at the campground. The homebrew goes better with a bag chair and a campfire.

Forgive me for the outrageous generalization, but most Coors light drinkers are in fact idiots

Are you calling me a Coors Light drinker!? You, sir, have crossed the line.:D

That could be a new "insult" on here... sort of like EAC. You're all a bunch of CLDs!

I just glad there's coors and miller to remind me of how wonderful my own homebrew is and can be.....you guys act like you want them to live up to some sort of standard of brewing integrity, but in reality, we all relish the fact that there's a huge crap beer market out there for us to work against.....it gives the craft brewing/home brewing community point of reference, as in "what we don't want to ever do is......."

...and really, BMC is like Mcdonalds. Think about some of the McDonalds commercials you've seen over the years...would you say their adds promote truth, honest marketing of a quality product, and integrity and craftsmanship in their product? Do you get all upset when Burger King makes their famous claim about their whoppers being "flame broiled"? I just fail to see the difference, or the point of getting all bunched up about it. IMHO, no one should ever get bunched up about anything any kind of commercial has to say (unless they're personally insulting your mother). As Phil Collin's might say - it's all a pack of lies.

I always gave McDonald's a pass on 'integrity', since the text of "two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun" seemed pretty straightforward. The "two all beef patties" seemed like the standard burger, twice.

Then came news that McyD's was using kangaroo meat in their burgers. People got a little "bunched up" about it. The CYA was unbelievable. Their stance was that 'YES, the Big Mac is all meat, just not the other burgers'. It wasn't long before they were obliged to reinstate beef as the standard burger material.

So, YEAH, I expect integrity at all levels of food and beverage, and somehow "Flame Broiled" is not a marketing strategy over McDonalds, it's the way to make a better tasting burger.;)

Don't get me started on New Coke.:mad:

I care about what kinds of products are produced in our country because I'm an american. I wish our major beer producers had more integrity and that the general public had better taste. I don't like going to another country to hear them say, "American beers are crap". I can't argue with that. Yeah, we have some awesome craft beers or regional brewers, but the majority of beer made in the US is garbage. It reflects badly on me, that's why I care about BMC's integrity. The commercials are just further dumbing down the public.

It would be like a spam commercial stating that their meat is the best in the world and eating it will get you laid by hot women, plus ice trains will appear out of nowhere.

Pangea

I don't drink that BMC stuff because I prefer other beer. It's not my style.

But BMC is brewing what people like. People buy it because it's what they want to drink. I know plenty of people who could afford to buy better beer, but choose to buy Bud or whatever.

Now, perhaps they do this out of ignorance, but what can you do? You can get people to try a whole bunch of other beers until they find one that tastes good to them, just to get them to drink what we consider "better beer".

Many of these people just don't care enough to expand their palate. Maybe they don't want to spend the time, or maybe they think we are beer snobs and don't want to fall into that category, or be associated with the stigma attached to it. Hell, I'd never want to be a Wine Connie Sewer!

By now there is plenty of good beer to found nearly everywhere. I can walk into Meijers and grab one of many popular and regional craft beers. Wally-World still only sells the Macro-brew craft beer, but some of those aren't bad.

In time more people will learn to appreciate the flavors that craft beers offer. Until then, BMC is going to remain king. Even European breweries offer very light beers, many of them not much different than American BMC beers.

..."Flame Broiled" is not a marketing strategy over McDonalds, it's the way to make a better tasting burger.
FWIW, that 'flame-broiled' flavor is added to the burger before it is ever cooked. Take a frozen BK burger patty home and cook it in a skillet...still has the same 'flame-broiled' flavor.

Some people like their beer to taste as little like beer as possible. I have a few friends like this...and Coors Light is their beer of choice. For me...the only times I ever might 'want' a Coors Light...I'd just prefer water.

Don't get me started on New Coke.
What a huge FU...but almost understandable. Pepsi beat Coke in the 'PEPSI CHALLENGE' taste tests (remember those in the late 70's/early 80s?). So Coke set out to make a new recipe that would beat Pepsi in these sip tests. They did...in extensive studies 'New Coke' beat Pepsi in sip tests...even more soundly than Pepsi had beaten regular Coke. Problem was that we don't drink soda in one-sip servings from Dixie Cups. The test was totally flawed from the get go.

What a huge FU...but almost understandable. Pepsi beat Coke in the 'PEPSI CHALLENGE' taste tests (remember those in the late 70's/early 80s?). So Coke set out to make a new recipe that would beat Pepsi in these sip tests. They did...in extensive studies 'New Coke' beat Pepsi in sip tests...even more soundly than Pepsi had beaten regular Coke. Problem was that we don't drink soda in one-sip servings from Dixie Cups. The test was totally flawed from the get go.

And that ended up being quite the coup for Coke. Once they came out with Classic, they rebounded and far surpassed Pepsi. Some theorize it was planned all along. I tend to disbelieve that, but if it was true, it would be the smartest marketing scheme of the 20th century.

Whether it be marketing for beer or any other product in general, I tend to look beyond the marketing, knowing that the company is just trying to get me to buy their product and will say anything to do it. It's the cost of a free-market society, which I'm willing to accept. But I also believe a free market society is more successful with a well-educated public. (And I don't mean formal education per se, I mean people educating themselves so they can make informed decisions.)

Whether it be marketing for beer or any other product in general, I tend to look beyond the marketing, knowing that the company is just trying to get me to buy their product and will say anything to do it.

I find often times the more a company spends on marketing the lower quality their product is. BMC and fast food companies, for example, must spend millions every year to remind people why they buy their product. If it wasn't for their creative and witty ad schemes their product would have to sell itself, and we all know how successful that would be. You could almost go as far as to say it's a mild form of brainwashing. Repeatedly remind people that when they buy Coors light their getting the most refreshing beer in the world that's frost brewed and cold filtered and made with water fresh from the Rocky's and high country barley (whatever the hell that means) and when they crack open that bottle of carbonated piss their mind tells them their drinking the nectar of the gods.

On the flip side, I don't remember the last time I saw a Sierra Nevada, Stone or Deschutes commercial on TV, but maybe I'm watching the wrong channels.

Remember it's cold or chill filtered or whatever they call it to.

But hey, if it wasn't the filtration wouldn't work so....

Oh yeah and brewing is the process before fermentation, so it's frost brewed at 212F. They must have some serious pressurization to make it a solid at 212.

It must be brewed on another planet or deep within a brown dwarf or something. The transportation cost must be enormous.

I find often times the more a company spends on marketing the lower quality their product is. BMC and fast food companies, for example, must spend millions every year to remind people why they buy their product. If it wasn't for their creative and witty ad schemes their product would have to sell itself, and we all know how successful that would be. You could almost go as far as to say it's a mild form of brainwashing. Repeatedly remind people that when they buy Coors light their getting the most refreshing beer in the world that's frost brewed and cold filtered and made with water fresh from the Rocky's and high country barley (whatever the hell that means) and when they crack open that bottle of carbonated piss their mind tells them their drinking the nectar of the gods.

On the flip side, I don't remember the last time I saw a Sierra Nevada, Stone or Deschutes commercial on TV, but maybe I'm watching the wrong channels.

true would bmc even excist if it werent for advertising?

I find often times the more a company spends on marketing the lower quality their product is. BMC and fast food companies, for example, must spend millions every year to remind people why they buy their product.

Every dime that is spent on a new marketing campaign is a dime not spent on producing a better product. It does say something when big, well established companies can't just rely on word of mouth to sell their product.

It makes you wonder how they got big in the first place, before they had billions to spend on marketing. They must have had something going for them.

As with many large companies they fall away from their original "Mission Statement" and begin to follow the money, than the only thing that they worry about is the dividens paid to shareholders and bonuses for the CEO,CFO and the other 3 letter acroymns that run the place!

-Jason

Latest posts

Back