it finally happened. we're legally a brewery!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever hear of your brew being anywhere near N Alabama area let me know and I'll go out of my way to sample it! :ban:

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your plans on distribution? Do you have a bottling line or are you selling kegs only? Are you going to sell to local establishments, and if so, do they already want to buy your beer?

I don't mean to be nosy...I'm trying to head down this path myself and would just like to hear your thoughts...

Thanks,
Chuck.

Told swmbo about Saturday and she's less than thrilled. Instead of being happy for me able to realize a dream she is hateful because now she will have to stay home and watch the dogs.

Be sure to post on your website where your beer is being distributed. If it's close to Louisville I'm sure I'll get some at some point. Dunno if this has been answered, but are you bottling or just doing kegs for now?

Congratulations! I hope that all of the waiting and hard work pays off. I bet it will be a great feeling to see your beer for sale commercially for the first time!

As to this:
Told swmbo about Saturday and she's less than thrilled. Instead of being happy for me able to realize a dream she is hateful because now she will have to stay home and watch the dogs.

My dad jokes about my Aunt and uncle who just bought a horse farm (in Newfoundland)... he figures my uncle said yes to the farm, just because he figured it would win him points being supportive of my Aunt, even though it was on something that was never going to happen. Now he mucks out stables.

Not saying the situation is exactly the same... but it is what popped into my mind :)

:mug: and good luck!

SWMBO didn't know what she was in for? That doesn't sound good.

Many congrats though, I wish I had the time/money for something like that.

Initially we will be distributing to local bars in the Richmond / Muncie area. A bottling line is too much of an investment for us at this point. (give us a year or so).

How much to get a corny filled? I'd be happy to drop one off in cbus for you to hang onto until fill time:) First paying customer of New Boswell Brewing Co. would be an honor. :mug:

Tomorrow's almost here I'm ready to brew. Ill post pics probably Sunday. I'm starting to work on a custom tap handle that's cheap,looks cool, and easy to build. Ill post.pics of it too.

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your plans on distribution? Do you have a bottling line or are you selling kegs only? Are you going to sell to local establishments, and if so, do they already want to buy your beer?

I don't mean to be nosy...I'm trying to head down this path myself and would just like to hear your thoughts...

Thanks,
Chuck.

Bottling lines are too expensive for a start up unless you have a lot of funds. We plan to distribute to bars.within 50 miles or so to start. We have established relationships with the owners and they will be purchasing from us initially. If we clear any profit then we will use it to pay off.our current equipment,the save for upgrades.

I snapped some shots of my DIY Taphandle for the brewery. All together i have around $12 bucks in it.

This thing was like $2.50 at Lowes.

GetAttachment21.jpg

This is what it should look like when its assembled. I havnt got the label applied to the top block but I will. I still need to finish it and give it a nice polyurethane coat.

GetAttachment31.jpg

I stained the handle part of it and went to get the high gloss coating. I will be applying it tonight. Still not sure what to paint or stain the top part.

GetAttachment3.jpg

Just got home from my brewday. Up at 5..left at 6... got there at 8... brewed till 7:30..got home at 9:30... ill post pics tomorrow if I get time.

Cant wait to see the pics... my wife wants to come on out sometime... with me of course ;)

Here are some of the photos i took yesterday.

2010-02-13_12_45_38.jpg

We did a half batch for the first one so we could work out any bugs and process issues. We want to get familiar with it so we dont mess up. Heres the 88 lb grain bill.

2010-02-13_11_37_40.jpg

Heres a shot of the wall mounted pumps and the mash tun, its supposed to have 80 gallon capacity.

2010-02-13_09_16_18.jpg

Heres the dough in

2010-02-13_12_45_19.jpg

Quick question: About how much did it cost to get the proper paperwork in order to brew in OHIO?

Overall we had a pretty interesting experience with our first batch. There are definately things we learned that we will want to do next time but overall it wasnt a bad day. Just very long. We did have a pressure washer to clean out the everything so it wasnt as bad as cleaning at home.

Overall we had a pretty interesting experience with our first batch. There are definately things we learned that we will want to do next time but overall it wasnt a bad day. Just very long. We did have a pressure washer to clean out the everything so it wasnt as bad as cleaning at home.

Like what kind of things to differently next time?

What are you doing with all that spent grain?

we had issues keeping the burner lit that we fixed. Next time we want to get the grain crushed the day before we brew (were just using basically a maltmill). It was all just minor stuff and efficiency issues with our process. I think we were able to iron most of it out. I want to switch the HLT and MLT positions and whatnot.

The spent grain this time unfortunatly went to the dumpster. We have a local farmer who is willing to start taking it he just wasnt able yesterday. I suggested we make bread and dog biscuits.

Get an oven in there and make some dog biscuits, sell them to local shops? Looks like a great setup, good luck!

Ok
I just got to ask
How do you make dog biscuit from spent grain?
We use 40 lbs of grain every brew day and it all goes to the compost pit. But making dog bisects is interesting

Congrats! I'll follow whatever you end up posting and would love to try your brew when/if I'm around Indiana.

Batch 002 down. . A brown ale

Details, Pics? I'd love to hear how the 2nd batch went. Did your adjustments fix the problems/concerns you had during the 1st brew? Hope all went well.. I wish I was local so I could give your brew a try.

Back