D'oh... Stupid hyrdrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzombiekitty

Reaction score
I think I have bad luck with glass things. I broke my thermometer after the first time I used it. And then after reading a thread on broken hydrometers, I was thinking "how can people break these so easily?" And of course, what happens? My hydrometer rolls onto the floor and I step on it whilst putting my freshly bottled first brew away.

*sigh*

And I'm planning on brewing a porter tomorrow and I'm not sure if I can get to the LHBS in time. Granted, I don't absolutely NEED it, as I'm not overly concerned with getting things precise, but I'd like to start to do things the right way.

If you hydrometer even survived a fall to the floor, you got really lucky. Those bastards are EXTREMELY fragile at the point where they taper off to the part with the scale.

Broke my first one the day my brand-new kit came in the mail. Was so excited that I opened everything and started washing it......Note: Do not put a cold hydrometer in steaming hot dish-water..... Had to go and by one at the LHBS berfore my first brew....

I hear ya....

It seems that one of the LHBS is open later than I thought, so I should be able to get there to it today. They were also looking for people to pour beer at an upcoming beer festival, maybe they're still looking for help. Might be a blessing in disguise.

It was in its tube. So it was protected from the fall.

You still got lucky. I broke one that was still in the tube by tossing it 1 foot onto the counter.

When I brewed with extract, I didn't even own a hydrometer (broke a few, never bought a replacement.) I was known on here as a major hydrometer hater.

But, when I switched to AG, I reluctantly went back to using one to make sure I was getting my mash efficiency right.

Even now, I *might* check the starting gravity to see how well I mashed, but I never check the finishing gravity.

go to Ebay and buy the 30$ ATC refractometer . My Hydro is collecting dust I only use it to check the refractometer with a known wort sample like a starter.

Back