diminishing returns in regards to flavor and aging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
I've been keeping track of my beers and how much the flavor changes over time. Now keep in mind that this is just my opinion and is really far from scientific but this is what I've been finding.

Also keep in mind this is just a general gauage, as different beers and yeasts will surely be different, I understand this.

My fermentation process is currently three weeks in the primary and then I put the primary in the fridge for a week ling cold crash and the siphon over to a keg.

I have noticed that from week four to six there is significant flavor change. From week six to about eight there is a significant amount of flavor change but less then from week six to eight. But then it seems to slow down and there isn't a real distinct difference in flavor until around four months. Seems like that six week age period is the sweet spot in terms of deminishing returns until the next change in flavor. I haven't aged beers longer then this, they are always gone.

I would think that the type of beer, ABV, etc.. would make different beers age differently.

PHP:
I would think that the type of beer, ABV, etc.. would make different beers age differently.

I agree. Some styles age better than others. For most brews the OP is right on about the 4-6 week window. For IPA's that seems to be where I like them. Too long and the fresh hop aroma goes away. Stouts can go much longer and bigger stouts can take longer to age out to be their best.

I brew a lot of Belgians and they just need aging to reach their peak. 2-3 months at the very minimum, but they continue to age and improve. I have one that is nearing one year in the bottle and it has continues to change and change for the better.

So the style and ABV does play a big part in how. certain beers age.

Back