Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Deployed military needs homebrew advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
stealthfixr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Deployed military needs homebrew advice

Apologize right up front if this info is available elsewhere--not trying to waste bandwidth or troll for "Do a darned search!" responses. I did some searches here and other places and could not find an answer. I daily frequent BBs like this for other hobbies, and some people have short fuses for newbie questions.

I am an active duty member of the US military deployed to Southeast Asia, but luckily in a place where alcohol is allowed. The problem is that the beer variety isn't great, and the prices are outrageous--$60 for four six-packs of St Pauli Girl Dark. A guy I work with is doing the extract brewing thing from where he living, and despite the water being about as awful as it could be, he's making it work.

I brewed for many years, although I've not done so for about 7 years. I progressed from extract brewing, to mini-mashing, then to all-grain. So, while I am not very proficient, I've got a little experience. Assisting my friend recently, I don't think I've forgotten much, especially when it comes to extract brewing. The good news is my friend is rotating back home in a couple months, and will leave me his simple equipment. Smelling the boiling wort and hops again was just pure magic to me--I need to homebrew again!

I went to MoreBeer.com, William's Brewing and a couple other sites I used to buy from online, and the shipping price to my DPO AE zip code was out of sight--like $28 in shipping alonefor one batch of ingredients. Not a good option. And, my address is technically a New York one--just like USPS shipping to anywhere else in the lower 48 except for the customs form.

My buddy has an alternative way of obtaining supplies that I will not have access to. So, his way it out. I need to rely upon the mail one way or the other, and USPS is the only real game in town for this location.

Do any of you know better alternatives for ordering ingredients at an acceptable shipping cost? Any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't really know, but have you checked to see what the price is if someone back home buys the ingredients locally and then ships it to you? Maybe that could be cheaper. Or maybe ordering from European or Australian retailers would be cheaper (Not sure how they could send it via USPS tho).

Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck!

RDWHAPBR

Old 05-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
stealthfixr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyWeiser View Post
I don't really know, but have you checked to see what the price is if someone back home buys the ingredients locally and then ships it to you?
Thought of asking my wife to buy locally in Las Vegas and ship to me. That's an option, but I was trying to not bother her with this; she has her hands full working and taking care of our two kids. Plus, if I buy online, I am getting exactly what I want/ordered.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
TKOriginal
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

We use northern brewer to get to Germany. I emailed brewmasterswarehouse last week but have not received a reply. The company must ship usps priority to get here in any reasonable time cant imagine its diff for you. order can not contain liquids. ill let you know if I find another company if you do the same. Hooah!

Old 05-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
mease19
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What you really need are some mules - people that are getting transferred in or going back and forth to visit family. Tell them to get two kits, one for you and one that you'll teach them to brew with.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think either way you will be paying a price for shipping - I just shipped something that was about 8 lbs to Japan USPS and it was $68

If you ordered online you could still look at it as getting 5 gallons of good beer for about $70 which isn't bad

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 05-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Id contact a supplier like AHS or someone else thats a big online supplier. See if you can get them to help you in some way for good ol' Uncle Sam. Might take some good convincing but Ive found many companies like doing what they can to help our troops and maybe you can make it worth their while as well.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 05-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
SailorTodd
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey brother, thank you for serving. I'm navy, so I know what it's like being away from the good stuff for extended periods (being stuck in Bahrain for six months makes you thirsty for anything better than BMC...)

I'd try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
Id contact a supplier like AHS or someone else thats a big online supplier. See if you can get them to help you in some way for good ol' Uncle Sam. Might take some good convincing but Ive found many companies like doing what they can to help our troops and maybe you can make it worth their while as well.
If not, I just did a cost estimate for a batch of 6 lb extract and 1 lb specialty malt, yeast on midwest supplies and it came out to $26 in shipping for my old FPO. You may have to eat that cost as unfortunate as that sounds. Only better option would be to have the spouse find LHBS, buy the stuff and ship using the flat rate boxes. It'd be minimally cheaper that way, but sounds like the added time and effort would make it not worth it.

Beer, so much more than just a breakfast drink

Old 05-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

I use Morebeer regularly and they ship free on most stuff if the order is over $59. So if you have an APO/FPO address in NY, you should be good to go if you order a couple of batches worth of ingredients.

Cheers

If you're stupid, you have to be tough.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
SailorTodd
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmprdood View Post
I use Morebeer regularly and they ship free on most stuff if the order is over $59. So if you have an APO/FPO address in NY, you should be good to go if you order a couple of batches worth of ingredients.

Cheers
I think his problem with that is the free shipping is that a commercial shipper (UPS or FEDEX, right?) can't ship to APO or FPO, only USPS can, and I don't think the free shipping offer extends to that. But please correct me if I'm wrong. If I am, that's the way to go.

Beer, so much more than just a breakfast drink

Quick Reply