Craft brewing? NO, it's Art brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
After years of brewing multiple different fermentables with multiple different adjuncts and yeasts in many different situations and receptacles I've come to the conclusion that this hobby (or profession or addiction or compulsion, etc) of ours is more than a mere craft.

I believe it is craft utilizing science mixed with experimentation mixed with creation mixed with colaboration. It is a means of expression, it's manipulation of various ingredients, methods, process's in order to affect a response from ALL of our senses.

It has invoked numerous different emotional responses from me at times, I have been exstatic, happy, proud, intrigued, amazed, puzzled, saddened, lethargic and crushed, some of these at the same time.

Of all the "hobbies/recreations" I've tried, . . . I have painted, sketched, fabricated in various ways (wood, metal, leather, etc), I have played music, built cars, built houses, exercised in numerous ways, etc. . . . This is the one that endures in it's full glory and repetition.

I believe it endures because it is a mixture of so many of the different emotional experiences that have come with all these other hobbies or recreations. It is also an activity that has endless possible combinations of techniques and ingredients making it ever changing and never boring.

I FEEL, my fingers get sticky from hours of picking, sorting and bagging of hops, I SMELL these same hops as the pungent aroma fills the air, of course I TASTE a sample before I'm done bagging. I SEE, and SMELL, the pebbles of grain as they slide down the hopper into the mill, of course I TASTE them after they are crushed. I SMELL, as the liquid rests among the grains, then boils, then ferments and transforms into gold, of course then I TASTE the liquid before it is drained or bottled. I FEEL when I burn my hand on the handle of a molten pot. I SMELL and SEE the yeast as it comes alive. I FEEL, the aching back and muscles the day after lifting, walking, carrying, stirring and other physical motions involved in brewing. I SEE, and I SMELL, as the glass nears my face increasing my anticipation. I FEEL, when I drink from a mug or a glass, be it cold or warm. I FEEL and TASTE as the liquid washes through my teeth, around my gums and tongue, sliding down my guzzle and warming my core. I FEEL, . . . GOOD.

Yes my fellow brewers, I FEEL, this is an ART, what say YOU?:confused:

Dont forget experience and wisdom... Even Michalangelo probably had a few Troglodyte's before he met with david.

I still consider it a craft, im not much of an artist though. I also regaurd cooking as a craft, rather than art. Even metalworking sculptures I generalize into the craft craft so its probably a little skewed in my views.

Dont forget experience and wisdom... Even Michalangelo probably had a few Troglodyte's before he met with david.

That's spot on. When I toured the Vatican museum as a child I saw a room full of Michelangelo's Pieta sculptures in various stages of completion that were discarded by the artist. There must have been a hundred in that room.

You must be a postmodernist.

Well, if you were to ask SWMBO, you would get the impression I could be compared to a cave painter from the upper paleolithic. I however, being of more patient and deceptively calculative demeaner consider my style to be more expressionistic relativist.:rockin:

As we say in vintage base ball, Huzzah!:mug:

I keep saying it, but I like what you have to say!!!!

To me brewing is a skilled artform, that combines elements of science, and philosophy (Rdwhahb-hood,) and a healthy dose of diy seat of the pants ethos.

I know Pappers has said the same thing. At least about the art/philosophy aspect of it.

I know I but heads with some of the more scientific, or literal minded trolls on here, but I believe that when you are dealing with yeast, which are LIVING beings, there's a certain wild card factor, and unpredicability that all the scientific theororizing and attempting to control the outcome, just can't totally do.

Throughout history there was a certain sacred ness around brewing, not just trappist monks today, but even in aincient, and pagan culture. Both the drinking of and the making of was a form of communion with the gods.

And that's obviously where I lean. That doesn't mean I'm a brewing luddite, I hope it means I strike a balance between the art/philosophy, and the science of it.

:rockin:

Bull****. If you can cook, you can brew, and if you can read you can cook. It does not take an artists sensibilities to determine a change in recipe. It takes a bit of common sense and a bit of experience. Extrapolate from there and you have a "crafted" brew.

IMHO and YMMV and WTF,

Steve da sleeve

Wow, someone's buttons got pushed with this thread, eh? :D

Cookings not an art form???? To me, cooking, and brewing are a lot like jazz, once you nail the fundamentals, the "science" of it, then you create a gap where you can let your soul soar, and that is how you create greatness.

Bull****. If you can cook, you can brew, and if you can read you can cook. It does not take an artists sensibilities to determine a change in recipe. It takes a bit of common sense and a bit of experience. Extrapolate from there and you have a "crafted" brew.

IMHO and YMMV and WTF,

Steve da sleeve

Ebenezer Scrooge?

Hey Spludge, Hockey season is about to begin, my beloved wings are at training camp, and the first puck will be dropped soon!!!! WHEEEEEE!!!!

Yeah, I like me some hockey as well! :mug:

IMHO and YMMV and WTF,

Steve da sleeve

Wow, someone's buttons got pushed with this thread, eh? :D

isn't cooking an art? I say yes
the ability to cook and brew beer as you lumped together is not something everyone can do WELL. i fully agree COLO we have a set of guidelines much like an artist has for a certain piece and extrapolate upon them how we see fit to make our version of said painting dish or beer.
I know alot of people on this board constantly tweaking trying to perfect the sistine chapel of beer. it is an art in the true since of the word IMHO

cheers to all artists I am drinking an masterpiece of art of the beer world from RR called Temptation it is so utterly complex and it is amazing:drunk:

IMHO and YMMV and WTF,

Steve da sleeve

I respectfully disagree. Both cooking and brewing can be simplified so any caveman can do it (tv dinners, kit and kilo). But lovingly creating something, whether its in the kitchen or brewery, that is more than a sum of its parts is where the beauty of it comes in.

Agreed. But there are a lot of bad cooks and bad brewers out there. Heck, there are a lot of terrible artists too - but what they do is still art.

I also think it comes down to the fact that some art is subjective and not everyone finds the same art interesting.

Art transcends itself.

Brewing does not. At the end of the day, it's still beer.

I do however, agree that craft implies an artisanal element.

i gotta say, not an art, just because we have the detemination, drive, love, passion, whatever, to clean all kinds of BS eqt., measure out stuff, cold crash and every other extra step i take along the way doesn't mean its art. It just means I want to do it. it just takes will, and a little practice, and a lot of reading.

I can want to be Victor Wooten all day long, but no amount of practice is gonna get me there.

i gotta say, not an art, just because we have the detemination, drive, love, passion, whatever, to clean all kinds of BS eqt., measure out stuff, cold crash and every other extra step i take along the way doesn't mean its art. It just means I want to do it. it just takes will, and a little practice, and a lot of reading.

I can want to be Victor Wooten all day long, but no amount of practice is gonna get me there.

I think you could say that about anything. I feel that if I were to take the same amount of time I put into brewing and invest it into something else, I could do anything. Plus, if you love doing it, it's just that much easier to keep that momentum and passion. I just wish I had that momentum for finishing my masters degree. :fro:

I also agree that I could never be someone else. I know I will never be dogfish head, Odell, or SN. However, I have to ask, could SN be dogfish head or viceversa? I don't think so. We are all different in our own way.

$5 this thread ends up in the debate section.

I also think it comes down to the fact that some art is subjective and not everyone finds the same art interesting.

Very true. Indeed, if the value of art is rated by people's interest in it or appreciation of it - AB/Inbev are much better "artists" than any of us.

Hey Spludge, Hockey season is about to begin, my beloved wings are at training camp, and the first puck will be dropped soon!!!! WHEEEEEE!!!!

Yeah, I like me some hockey as well! :mug:

Very soon, looking forward to it! Should be interesting, there has been a lot of player movement. I am a huge fan of the entire Red Wings organization, from the bottom to the top. If they can stay healthy and running on all cylinders this season they will be serious contenders. :mug:

Very soon, looking forward to it! Should be interesting, there has been a lot of player movement. I am a huge fan of the entire Red Wings organization, from the bottom to the top. If they can stay healthy and running on all cylinders this season they will be serious contenders. :mug:

Derailed!

Hockey is art!

Back on track... ;)

I think there is room for both craft and art. I would never call my beer artistic. Crafty, maybe. Not sure exactly what determines one from the other, other than I see crafts as being made by simple folk, and art as being made by pretentious snobs.

BTW - Wings are on TONIGHT! Preseason starts and I may have to leave work early so I can go home and prepare! I'm runnin' off the rails on a Crazy Train!

Some home brewers are simply utilitarian in their approach to brewing. They simply want to brew some beer. Some homebrewers are craftsmen, taking a high level of pride in the process and their mastery of that process and its tools, a pride that transcends the product. Some brewers are artists, indeed. Their involvement with the act of brewing goes beyond craftsmanship because they recognize something in the process, its history and the result that can't be mastered, something elusive that they feel a driving need to pursue and contain though they know that it can never be fully grasped nor expressed. Utilitarian? Craftsmanlike? Artistic? That depends on what we bring to it, not on something intrinsic to brewing. Like so many pursuits: cooking, graphic arts, dance, yea, life itself, the essence of art is in the artist.

No buttons pressed here - just an opinion! Calling something art because you like it and do it well is fine but, let's face it, self-congratulatory at best. Hey I congratulate myself all the time but I don't *believe* it!

I like beer, I make good beer, I bet you do too, maybe even fantastic earth shattering orgasmic tasting brew. It ain't art though IMHO. It is beer. Chili ain't art either, nor hot dogs nor Baked Alaska...

Craftsman: "Oh, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy my work! What didn't you like about it? Thank you for your input!"

Artist: "You just don't understand what I'm trying to portray with MY art!"

After years of brewing multiple different fermentables with multiple different adjuncts and yeasts in many different situations and receptacles I've come to the conclusion that this hobby (or profession or addiction or compulsion, etc) of ours is more than a mere craft.

I believe it is craft utilizing science mixed with experimentation mixed with creation mixed with colaboration. It is a means of expression, it's manipulation of various ingredients, methods, process's in order to affect a response from ALL of our senses.

It has invoked numerous different emotional responses from me at times, I have been exstatic, happy, proud, intrigued, amazed, puzzled, saddened, lethargic and crushed, some of these at the same time.

Of all the "hobbies/recreations" I've tried, . . . I have painted, sketched, fabricated in various ways (wood, metal, leather, etc), I have played music, built cars, built houses, exercised in numerous ways, etc. . . . This is the one that endures in it's full glory and repetition.

I believe it endures because it is a mixture of so many of the different emotional experiences that have come with all these other hobbies or recreations. It is also an activity that has endless possible combinations of techniques and ingredients making it ever changing and never boring.

I FEEL, my fingers get sticky from hours of picking, sorting and bagging of hops, I SMELL these same hops as the pungent aroma fills the air, of course I TASTE a sample before I'm done bagging. I SEE, and SMELL, the pebbles of grain as they slide down the hopper into the mill, of course I TASTE them after they are crushed. I SMELL, as the liquid rests among the grains, then boils, then ferments and transforms into gold, of course then I TASTE the liquid before it is drained or bottled. I FEEL when I burn my hand on the handle of a molten pot. I SMELL and SEE the yeast as it comes alive. I FEEL, the aching back and muscles the day after lifting, walking, carrying, stirring and other physical motions involved in brewing. I SEE, and I SMELL, as the glass nears my face increasing my anticipation. I FEEL, when I drink from a mug or a glass, be it cold or warm. I FEEL and TASTE as the liquid washes through my teeth, around my gums and tongue, sliding down my guzzle and warming my core. I FEEL, . . . GOOD.

Yes my fellow brewers, I FEEL, this is an ART, what say YOU?:confused:

This reminds me of Sam Kennison (sp) in Back to School...

Funny I found this topic searching for Victor Wooten.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back