Cost difference betwen AG and extract brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am most certainly going to go back to AG, but if you really do some hunting the cost difference is much slighter than I thought at first, assuming you are getting your 2-row in the $55 range per sack.

If you're spending $55 for 55lbs of 2-row, you're getting ripped off. You should be able to get it in the $30 range.

You should be able to get it in the $30 range.

And just where would one buy 55 lbs of malt in the $30.00/bag price range? I assume you're not including shipping, because that sometimes is nearly 2/3 of the unit price, depending on order quantity. Please hook us up with your supplier if you're getting it at that price. Please!

And just where would one buy 55 lbs of malt in the $30.00/bag price range? I assume you're not including shipping, because that sometimes is nearly 2/3 of the unit price, depending on order quantity. Please hook us up with your supplier if you're getting it at that price. Please!

Country Malt group. IIRC, a pallet shipped was only $75-100 and holds 42 bags of grain.

IE, if you do a group buy, its less than $2/bag to ship. Last i checked, it was $26 and change for a bag of 2 row.

I don't buy in bulk. just ordered ingredients for my mild came to $21 with $7 shipping.
Partial mash would have been about $10 higher ...
All extract just under $20 higher ...

Pretty good savings for the investment of a wort chiller, 40Qt brew pot, and propane burner and tank. Had a zap-pap mash-tun with fly sparger from years ago when I tried mashing before.

Back