Cheapest Online HBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on the least-expensive home brew store Price + shipping. I've been near exclusive to one place but have reservations about ordering from them again.

I usually order 3 - 4 batches at a time, 50+ pounds of grain.

Which stores do you prefer and why?

Check out love2brew.com
Their prices are great. I believe they have free shipping over $50.00.
Not sure about the shipping charges for grain though, as they probably need to charge for that

One thing I failed to mention is that I am seeking places that sell grains less than one pound. To build recipes, I often need <1 pound.

Not sure if it's the absolute cheapest, but Austin Homebrew is my absolute favorite. You can buy grain by the ounce, as well as having multiple grain bags, so each recipe comes already mixed in one bag. Their shipping is pretty cheap too, it costs me more to drive to my LHBS than it does to ship from Texas. Their prices are at least in-line with all of the other online supply stores, and their ingredients seem to be pretty good quality.

Another for Austin Homebrew. They have a great range of product, fantastic customer service, pack well (love the way they pack their grains for a single recipe!) and ship promptly. I don't know exactly where they stack up, but I would say they are at least 'very competitive'.

I was only looking at the base malts and didn't see the fractional - with the crystals however I do :)

This may already have been stated, but Brewmaster's Warehouse sends by the oz. Shipping is a flat 6.99... If you order a whole recipe worth of stuff, the shipping works out.

I've only had the opportunity to order from Austin Homebrew once so far, but was very happy with their quality and service.

I think a number of people have had issues with BMW in the past, there's a thread somewhere on here about it. I wasn't too happy with them either.

I have started using Keystone Homebrew Supply. They offer fractional grains by choosing recipe grains from the site. I can't comment about shipping as all of my orders have involved buying specialty bottles (belgian, 500ml MBC style) which raised up the cost to about 20 bucks.

I could do with some tips for the UK. My LHBS in Glasgow is much cheaper to walk in and but than other sites I've seen (when you include P&P on the online orders.)

brewbrothers.biz
my local guys, huge selection as well.

Austin Homebrew is my go to...Only doing 1 gallon batches right now, but the prices are good, shipping is free.....

Everyone is different in what they're looking for, but speed of shipping and order processing to me is way more important than whether I have to order a pound of C60 for $1.50 or if I can order by the ounce and get 0.25 lbs for 50 cents. I'd rather get my stuff in a day or two and have an extra 0.75 lbs of C60 to use in another batch. I like morebeer because they now have an east coast warehouse and ship really fast.

But back to you original question - it's impossible to tell you which one is the cheapest as it totally depends on how much you order, what you order, whether there is a free-shipping threshold, etc. Morebeer, AHS, love2brew are all great and I've ordered from each of them in the past. Used to be a fan of BMW but not anymore.

Brew Brothers, Hillsboro, OR sells to the 10th of a pound. AHS sells to the ounce.
A regular AHS customer, I purchased once from Brew Brothers because they had an ingredient AHS did not, then mocked out an order at AHS. Up front, Brew Brothers was significantly cheaper, BUT shipping gave AHS the slightly better overall price. OTOH, Brew Brothers is diagonally across the country from me. The not flat rate FedEx should be cheaper to Nevada.

I will purchase again from Brew Brothers, but that's an organic issue, which unfortunately raises prices, and therefore off topic.

I was a happy BMW buyer until the last delayed order then reading their recent feedback on the thread here. BMW was great with excellent pricing and quick shipping. Too bad they went down-hill.

We were mentioned and it is very much appreciated.

Although we require 1# minimums for grain based on your order description it would ship for free. (Although entire 50# sacks would not).

Back