Carboy Score!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
So my neighbor's buddy has been brewing for a long time. he brews 15 gallon batches and has steel conical fermenters. he was over his place yesterday and brought me back 2 6.5 gallon glass carboys he doesn't use anymore and said i could have them. i guess it has a stand on it and the carboys is placed upside down and has the fitting on that allows it to be used as an airlock and then you can drain out the trub first and then the beer instead of racking it off. i came with directions and seems pretty simple. i have one 6 gal better bottle and one 5 gallon better bottle so this is really cool im gonna brew next weekend now i can ferment more beer. my fermenting refrigerator will fit 3 carboys :)

img00318183802.jpg

Congrats, that's sweet! :mug:

I've never seen one of those contraptions on top of the one before... I'm curious how that works out.

Whats on top is a carboy drainer/dryer. After you wash the carboy the white plastic thing is put on the floor and the carboy is inverted on top so the carboy can dry. Right not in the pic its just sitting on top of the carboy.

Make sure you send him a couple bottles as a thank you! That is a sweet score... those damn carboys are expensive.

Whats on top is a carboy drainer/dryer. After you wash the carboy the white plastic thing is put on the floor and the carboy is inverted on top so the carboy can dry. Right not in the pic its just sitting on top of the carboy.

actually according to the directions it ferments upside down too. the long plastic piece inside acts as a way to vent it. it has spigot on it too so the trub cab drain out then the beer drains out. pretty cool i don't know if i am going to do it that way though.

Yeah, that's the bit I was referring to--not the drying rack. I'd have to try that at least once... but that's easy for me to say. :D

actually according to the directions it ferments upside down too. the long plastic piece inside acts as a way to vent it. it has spigot on it too so the trub cab drain out then the beer drains out. pretty cool i don't know if i am going to do it that way though.

It's called a Fermentap. Be careful using it, I've heard stories of them leaking everywhere!

Nice score for the carboys. Heard nothing but bad reviews from the fermentap though. Most just use the rack as a drying rack and scrapped the cap. Still two free carboys! Nice.

Latest posts

Back